Exclamation Java Release 9 for OSX Crashing Safari, Mail, iTunes

Since running software update late last week, and installing the latest Safari, iTunes, QuickTime and Java updates on my G4 iBook running OSX 10.4.11, the three Apple apps mentioned above (Safari, iTunes and Mail) crash at launch. Also, invoking Software Update from the Apple Menu results in a crash, though I can successfully run it from the System Preferences Software Update Pane. Upon inspecting the logs, the installation logs for each update all read as successful installs, while in the crash logs from each app, I see that the one thing they have in common is an error regarding a missing JavaScript file whose Parent Process is Window Server. I am not a Unix Gearhead, and don't really know what to make of this except that it appears to my untrained understanding that the Java update has messed something up on this machine. I ran the same batch of updates on the dual 2.0 GHz G5 desktop running 10.4.11 with no issues. Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated. The iBook is a 14" G4 1.04 Ghz with 768 Mb RAM, OS X 10.4.11 with all latest updates installed.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi JFasick,

You may not have noticed, but we are a Windows-only help site. There may be someone that can answer your question, but you'd be better posting on a dedicated Mac site. This one should do fine.

Good luck.

No, I hadn't noticed, but thanks for pointing that out and for the link.