Default Opening e-mail attachments

I am unable to open certain e-mail attachments and get a message saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." I have tried everything I could think of, but so far have not found a way to do this. Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I use Wndows XP. Many thanks.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What are the email attachments - specifically the file type?

Default arraknid

Thanks for replying so fast. One of the file types in question is: Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The reason why you are asked to create an association is that you don't have the software installed that is necessary to open the files.

As far as PowerPoint is concerned, if you dont have Microsoft Office or Powerpoint installed, you can download a viewer from here.

Considering the size of that program, you may be better downloading Open Office which is a free, alternative version of Windows Office, only better. Open Office includes programs that will open PP files as well as lots of other applications - including a word processing application. All apps will open MS Office documents.

My thanks to you for this very helpful information. I'll do what you suggest. Again many thanks.