Default Nvidia driver issues! please help!

Hi, I am having the toughest time trying to get my PC working again! I had automatic updates turned off, and when I got on my computer the other day (without restarting, just logging on to a current session) it all of a sudden gives me the below message:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered.

After this message comes up, the screen leaves lines everywhere and I cannot do anything at all. I have to restart. The only way to work on my computer is with no drivers loaded at all, or in safe mode....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have downloaded the latest drivers for my card, even letting the Nvidia website decide which drivers. I have tried renaming the nvlddmkm.sys file to nvlddmkmold.sys so it would be replaced with a new version of this file.

I have taken my Pinnacle tv tuner out so that I could rule that out. Still no luck... I have also looked at other forums and it looks like people have had this problem since 2007 and no one has a patch or actual fix. Some say its hardware, some say its software, and some say its a combination of both. I use my computer for web design and I really really need my graphics card working....

Setup...
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.13gHz
    Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)
    GeForce 9600 GS Video Card - 768MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're right, this problem has been around for far too long with little or no response from NVidia. No surprise there, they aren't renowned for their driver packages.

Have you downloaded the Microsoft 938194 update as shown here? If you get no difference, the best advice would be to change the graphics card to a model that doesn't use the problem 680i chipset, or even a Radeon-based card. The only people that can sort the problem are NVidia, but they seem to be in total denial.

Strangely, the card works perfectly on 64bit Vista machines, but not on 32bit.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try that update and see if that helps. Let you know this afternoon.

I tried to download Microsoft Update 938194 but it says it does not apply to my computer...

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You didn't say what version of Windows you have, but as this problem relates to Vista systems only, I naturally assumed that's what you have. If you do, and you have downloaded the correct version for your machine, 32 or 64bit, it does apply to you.

I notice you've had Windows Update turned off. You may need to apply previous updates and patches before installing 938194, so a visit to the Windows Update page may be in order. If you haven't upgraded to SP1, do so, but steer clear of SP2 for the time being.

As I suggested previously, if it were me, I'd have replaced the card by now, and unless you are a gamer, a lower spec card would suffice - and preferably Radeon based.

I have Vista Ultimate, and I have installed all updates as of now and will try 938194 when I get home. I do game every once in a while, and I also do a good bit of photo editing and web design so I will probably get a comparable video card but def stick with Radeon. My buddy convinced me to go with NVidia and I knew I shouldn't have listened lol.

I will let you know how things go. Thanks a lot for your help.