Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hotspot Shield residue after deinstallation

Dear Colleagues,

I tried uninstalling Hopspot Shield from my laptop (Compaq Evo N800v, 1 GB RAM) running Windows XP Professional, but during bootup a window still appears

"Assistant for Search for New Hardware"
    "Hotspot Shield Helper Miiport"

and C:\Programme still contains a subdirectory "Hotspot_Shield" with 6 files:

Hotspot_ShieldToolbarHelper
    Install
    tbHot2.dll
    tbHot2.dll
    toolbox.cfg
    UNWISE

. What is the proper proceed for clearing my system COMPLETELY of Hotspot Shield without damaging the rest of my system? Inquiries to Anchorfree have gone unanswered (except for autoreplies acknowledging receipt of queries).

Thanks in advance to all responders,

Stuart
    Last edited by Mich; 07-30-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: removed email address

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First, please remove your email address. We never reply to emails and you will be inundated with spam.

It's not clear how you uninstalled the program, did you use Add/Remove Programs? If you had, all files would have been removed. The file Unwise is the official uninstaller. Double clicking it will start the process. If you merely deleted certain parts of the program, it may show an error, but try anyway.

If the uninstall fails, you can merely delete the entire Hotspot folder and any other files related to Hotspot. Do a search for Hotspot.

Another option is to reinstall the program, then use the uninstaller to remove it.

Next, download and install CCleaner and run the Clean option. Do not run the Registry option.

Once completed, click on the Tools option, and select the Startup tab. Look down the list for an entry related to Hotspot. If present, Disable it.

Finally, restart the computer.

Default Partial success with deinstallation, followed by new problem

Well, I tried to rid my system of Hotspot Shield by using the UNWISE deinstallation program and then manually removing whatever remaining Hotspot Shield files I could identify on my HD. I even found a file "HSSTRAYSERVICE.EXE-186026E8.pf" in the C:\WINDOWS\PREFETCH subdirectory, and deleted that, too. Through these efforts I managed to eliminate the Hoptspot Shield toolbar in Firefox, but the annoying pop-up about installation of Hotspot Shield Helper Miniport is still there, so I'm afriad I'll have to live with it until such time as I wipe out my HD and install Windows 7 sometime next year.

However, now I'm experiencing a NEW problem, which by virtue of timing I suspect is related to my efforts to rid my system of Hotspot Shield.

Whilst I can still download files that come as e-mail attachments, I'm unable to complete downloads of files from remote servers. For example, when I try to download the executable for Smart Defrag 1.20 from the manufacturer's website, downloading commences but terminates as "failed" just before the download is complete. I've tried this with several executables from different websites, and the result is always the same. Moreover, I seem to have lost the ability to direct the downloaded file to the subdirectory of my choice. Before this business with Hotspot Shield, I was able to direct downloads to, e.g., the desktop; now the (aborted) downloads are sent exclusively to C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp without any prompting as to whether I want the program to be saved or run, and if saved in which directory I'd like the downloaded file to be saved.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this new problem with downloads? I'm still running Windows XP Professional with 1 GB of RAM.

Thanks,

Stuart

Blog Entries

As previously requested, please remove your email address from your original post.

As far as Hotspot is concerned, I think you should try reinstalling it again, then using the uninstaller to remove everything. Before reinstalling, use System Restore to get back to where you were before deleting everything.

Default Autoruns to halt Hotspot Shield Helper Miniport nag window?

I installed Hotspot Shield on a PC running WinXP SP2, then uninstalled it. However, during bootup a nag window continues to appear asking if I want to install Hotspot Shield Helper Miniport, and bootup doesn't continue until I click "Quit" on that nag window. I can't figure out how to halt this nag window on my PC. Can I unselect something under MS Autoruns that will eliminate it?

Blog Entries

This is a continuation of a previous thread of yours, here. Please do not start a new thread for the same problem. We'll get it moved to there.

Did you do the reinstall/uninstall as suggested?

Default reinstall/uninstall

No, I didn't follow the reinstall/uninstall procedure, because it was so difficult getting rid of as much of HSS as I managed to do thie first time that I'm very hesitant to repeat the performance. I did follow a procedure for ridding systems of crapware using autoruns and ccleaner, but the nag window is still there. If there is a particular item under autoruns that I can uncheck to make the HSS nag window go away, I haven't figured out what it is yet. I can sort of live with the nag window if I have no choice, but it keeps reminding me of how stupid I was in the first place to have installed HSS.

For the record, I telephoned Anchorfree a couple of times in California (from my home in Switzerland!!) because they never answered any of my e-letters. Finally, the receptionist gave me the personal e-mail address of their chief support person because he told the receptionist that he'd never received any of my e-letters, though Anchorfree's autoreply system had no problems intercepting them. So far, their chief support person hasn't gotten back to me. Maybe I should just wait until Win7 becomes readily available, reformat my HD, install Win 7, and start over from scratch --- without HSS.

Blog Entries

Whilst your reluctance to reinstall is understandable, reinstalling then uninstalling with the proper uninstaller is the only way to remove everything from your machine. Your problem comes from the fact that you didn't use the proper uninstall procedure in the first place, so it's no wonder you have so much left behind.

It may well be possible to switch off the nag screen, but the rest of it will still be there, and will come back to haunt you.

For your own peace of mind, you could set a System Restore point, so that you can at least get back to where you are now, but it shouldn't be necessary. I couldn't find anything that describes HSS as uninstallable, so if you follow the correct procedure, you'll never see it again.

Maybe I should just wait until Win7 becomes readily available, reformat my HD, install Win 7, and start over from scratch --- without HSS.
    That's an extreme and expensive way of overcoming a problem that could be resolved in just a few minutes.

Default manually removed registry entries

tried revo and ccleaner and manually removing all hss files from my machine but that didn't help. this is what i did to remove it in win xp. note that this is playing with the registry to backup first. or don't
    right-click my computer, choose properties, then go to the hardware tab. choose device manager
    right-click the anchor free miniport helper (it's under network adapters in the heirarchy), choose properties and then choose the details tab. make a note of the instance ID (this is where the device resides in the registry)
    make a note of the part that says hss (should be something like ROOT\hss****\000* or something, i deleted mine and didn't make a note of it)
    exit out of all the windows then go start>run and type regedt32 (not regedit)
    search for the string you made a note of above (hss****, with **** replacing what it says on your machine)
    when the string is found, right click the entire branch and choose permissions. there allow all actions to all users. ok out.
    delete the branch.
    keep repeating until all hss****\000* branches are deleted (i found 3 on my machine).
    for good measure i deleted all hss instances in the registry, but i wouldn't do this casually as some entries are within branches so you might need to delete the entry itself, not the entire branch.

This happens with almost all the software, when they are removed,they still leave some residue. I use Uninstall pro to get rid of them. Don't try manually cleaning it, cause some dlls are binded with them during installation and are shared one. So its safe to use cleaning softwares instead of manually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast