Thread: Defragmenters

Default Defragmenters

I've heard that all defragmenting programs use essentially the same "engine" as the defragmenter embedded in various releases of Windows. However, there seem to be lots of different freeware, shareware, and commercial programs all claiming to accomplish the same thing, viz. defragmentation of your HD. If all these programs really do use the same defragmentation "engine" (or slight variations thereof), is there any functional difference between them, aside from more or less attractive GUIs? If they're essentially all the same, doesn't it make sense to just stick with the utility that comes with Windows and not waste HD space with redundant programs?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

No, all defragers are created equal. Here's a site that has done reviews on quite a few of them. I have been using JKDefrag for the past few years and am very happy with it. I note on this site, it's rated the highest, at least in freeware. Insights and Rants: The 2009 Defrag Shootout, and all the defragmentation utilities I can find . Note, JKDefrag has now changed its name to MyDefrag 4.1.1 which I am about to download.

The difference between defragmenters seems to be time, not performance. Some are quicker than others, but the end products are pretty much the same.

Charlie

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I nearly always use the Windows defragger. It may take a little longer, but works as well as any.

A general question about defrag programs?

Do they all check for drive errors /bad sectors?