Default How to transfer files

I have been trying to use Knoppix to transfer files from my cousins unbootable computer.. I can see all the files and it is letting me drag them over to a 4GB USB thumb drive (says copy here). But it seems as though they have 20+GB worth of important pics, music, docs, etc...
    I am not going to be able to do this. But for future purposes as I have many laptop computers and hard drives. Is there a type of cable i can buy that will connect to a removed laptop hard drive to a USB so that instead of this 4GB thumb drive, I could use say a 40 or 80GB HDD that I remove from another computer??
    IF so, Assuming it is blank will it act, will it act just like a thumb drive?
    Meaning, does a thumb drive have any software on it so that it knows it is a copying device??
    Thank you,
    Pba

A 2.5" USB external drive enclosure will allow a laptop drive to be connected to USB port. You just need to be sure whether you need an IDE connection or a SATA connection. The laptop drive goes into the enclosure, then it connects to the USB port of the computer.

charlie