Default Emergency help!!!

I couldn't restart my computer in safemode, so I tried the bootsafe option in superantispyware - now my computer would not stop rebooting itself and I cannot get it to restart even in normal mode anymore without rebooting!!! I even tried shuting down all power and restart my computer completely but nothing worked. Please help!!!

Please wait for your HJT log to be attended to here

regards,

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, without being able to start the machine, an HJT log analysis is somewhat redundant.

If you have any malware present in your machine, you should never use the SAFEBOOT option, especially if you are unable to access Safe Mode by conventional means. Doing so will create a permanent loop.

You need to remove the /SAFEBOOT switch from your boot.ini file so that the machine starts normally. You'll need a Windows XP installation disk to get into Recovery Console, and the instructions contained here. Please read them all before proceeding. If not, you may create even more problems.

Once the start problem is corrected, continue with the log analysis.

Arraknid, would the option be available to boot using a knoppix live cd, and editing the Boot.ini file that way?

I ask because i've never had to do it
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Blog Entries

would the option be available to boot using a knoppix live cd, and editing the Boot.ini file that way?
    It's possible, but much easier using the Recovery Console. About 5 minutes.

Unfortunately I just restored my computer from a ghost image, so I can't do that now. Plus, I don't have a boot CD (but in case this happens again in the future, is there a way to do it without the boot cd?)

Also, Should I be able to boot into safemode properly now using the F8 option?
    Last edited by derekbutch; 08-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Blog Entries

You can just use a borrowed disk if you need to go there again.

Should I be able to boot into safemode properly now using the F8 option?
    It depends on the machine. Tapping the F8 key when you see the POST screen will usually get you to the Windows Advanced Options menu where you can select Safe Mode. On certain machines, it will present you with the Boot Options menu. In that case, wait until the POST screen disappears before pressing F8.

Certain systems show a SATA configuration screen immediately after the POST screen, so you'd need to press F8 after that.

I certain instances, depending on manufacturer, you need to press another F key to access Safe Mode.