Thread: BIOS help

Unhappy BIOS help

When I start my pc up I get an error message C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

it then went on to say I could attempt to repair the file by by using the original Windows Setup CD-ROM, however I was worried about losing all my files, especially my pictures (after loosing my honeymoon pictures on a previous crashed pc). So I searched this phrase on the internet and found your very helpful website and set about trying to recover my files following the advice given on this page:

Help2Go - free computer help and advice - How to recover files from an unbootable/dead computer

however when I try to enter setup to change the boot order of the BOIS nothing happens and I just keep getting the error message back up. Please can anyone advise.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You need to start tapping the F2 or Del key (depending on machine) as soon as the machine starts.
    Last edited by arraknid; 08-08-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Removed info that was too general!

Thanks for your reply

I tried that but it didn't work but will try again and come back to you.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When you start the machine, what do you see on the screen? A black screen with white text, or the logo of the machine manufacturer?

If the latter, there's usually a reference on there about which F key to press to enter setup.

There is another option, but I'd like to know what machine you have.