Default Lenovo Laptop showing 2 hard drives?

I have a Lenovo Y510 Laptop. I continue to get messages that say my hard drive C: is low on disk space, but when I look at "My Computer" under "hard drive" i see 2 options:
    --my (C ) drive 51.2MB free of 29.2GB and
    -- Lenovo (D) 146 GB free of 188 GB.

No matter how much I google, or read HELP, i can't figure out how to use the D: drive! I also can't find any info about computers coming with 2 hard drives.

I've never added anything to this laptop, it is however it was when I took it out of the box.

Any ideas or guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Chances are you don't have two separate drives, but your drive has been partitioned. C drive which is smaller, has the operating system (XP?) and probably some programs. The D drive is designed to save data files and other program files. So, when you go to save something (or install a new program .. not XP or its updates) click to save on D drive when asked 'Save as'. You can also transfer some of your data files (music, pictures etc ) over to D drive and so giving you more space on C.

XP will install and run from a 30GB partition, but you need to save all of your data (pictures, photos, documents) to the D drive. The default location for saving anything will be the C drive- so you must tell it to save to the D drive. You can do that when the box opens up when saving something. At the top of the box, click the arrow next to 'save in', then choose the D drive. See attachment. It is a little blury, but it is next to the red box.
    It would have been nice if they would have set up at least 40GB for the operating system.
    Charlie
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Grim322; 08-11-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: more info