Unhappy Can't upload pics and colored icons don't show up.

I am totally dumb when it comes to computer problems so this might involve several...when I first see my desktop it has 2 boxes that appear and both read 'A_VP Engine.dat file does not exist. I also am having an impossible time uploading photo's. The green light next to the power light barely comes on except when it is reading CD's. Last week my computer was working fine, I don't know what could have happened between now and then??? Any idea's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I have a Dell windows XP and I use Firefox 3.5 Beta.) Thanks, Marykate

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks like your machine is infected with malware, probably a scam program called AntivirusPro, which purports to be a legitimate program. It tells you that your machine is infected with lots of virus's, etc, but the program itself is the malware. Do you remember seeing anything like that recently? The downside is that it demands a fee for removing the 'malware', but actually does nothing.

The error message would indicate that AVP has been partially removed, but has left some parts in place.

Does any of this sound familiar? Have you clicked on a popup telling you that your machine is infected?