Default 2nd HDD as Backup--long

A couple of months ago, I reformatted my HDD in a last ditch attempt to get my computer running smoothly. It worked great like a new computer. Now my wife wants me to do the same for hers. That's fine, but she surfs around alot and picks up junk. I can envision having to do it every 3-4 months, which is just a big waste of time. Instead, I thought that I would buy a 2nd HDD; reformat her current HDD; then, once it is cleaned up and all of her programs are reloaded (and updated, as necessary), I would copy the entire disc onto the new HDD. She would continue to operate from the old HDD, and when that drive got polluted, I would merely reformat and copy everything from the new HDD which I have used as a backup. Are there any flaws in this approach?
    Thanks for your input

That approach will work, but you can't simply copy the hard drive. You need to make an image (or clone) one drive to the other. A simple copy won't boot, but an image will. There are many programs out there that will make a drive image. I have used Drive Image XML with success, available here:
    DriveImage XML Backup Software

If you do a drive to drive image with RAW mode, it will clone the original partition. Other programs such as Acronis and Ghost are also available.

Charlie

Good point. I would have forgotten that! Thanks, much.

The way I would approach it would be to first make a backup of any files you don't want to lose. Then reformat the old hard drive. Once you have installed all updates and any programs you want, put your backed up files back. Now do a complete virus scan and a scan with Malwarebytes to be sure that you didn't move any bad stuff in with your files. Once you are happy that you have it like you want, clone it to the new drive. After cloning, make sure it is bootable, you will need to disconnect the old drive and hook up the new drive. When you are sure you have a bootable backup you are good to go. Whenever you want to reformat, simply switch to the other hard drive, move any files you want to move, make SURE it boots, then reformat the other drive and clone the other drive to it and do it all over again.

You could just save an image file rather than a complete bootable clone drive, but if you find out later that the image is bad or unbootabe, it is too late to create another clean one.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. That sounds like a good plan. BR