Thread: Vista 64 bit

Blog Entries

Angry Vista 64 bit

I have a Dell D820 laptop running Windows 7. Recently my wife decided that I needed a new printer and she bought me an Epson PX700W printer/scanner. The trouble is that this printer will not run with Windows 7 (effectively Vista 64 bit). It runs OK with my wifeís laptop which runs Vista (Home). I have contacted Epson who advised me to download XP drivers, which didnít work, then to phone Microsoft who told me that as this software is not officially out until September, the drivers are not available. Epson then advised me to download the Vista drivers. I am still trying. Does anyone know where I can download Vista 64 bit drivers? Every attempt seems to end up with me being offered Driver Detective or similar software. It seems to me that once they have got your money, the big computer companies rapidly lose interest in you. I am still waiting for a reply from Epson. I would appreciate advice from anyone at H2G.
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Epson are absolutely right. If you are running Win7 RC, that's still in advanced beta mode and is released specifically to sort out the final problems. It isn't the version that will be released in October, which is why the majority of peripheral manufacturers hang on till the last minute before releasing drivers. It was exactly the same when Vista was released.

Part of your problem may be the choice of Epson in the first place, who have always been last to come up with drivers for a new operating system. Even when they do, I bet they release the 32bit version first.

It's a pity you can't take it back and change it, but the argument that it doesn't work with Win7 RC won't hold much weight.

I have Win7 RC running on one of my machines, and the scanner and printer - both Canon, run perfectly using Vista drivers.

You could try installing the 32bit version of Win7, which should work better with the 32bit Vista drivers.

Moral of the tale is always read the warning from Microsoft when installing pre-release operating system software. They always advise not using as your main system, generally because it'll need to be completely removed at the end of its life, as you won't be able to upgrade it to the retail version. The other reason is that there'll be the minimum of support from peripheral manufacturers - like Epson.

If you can wait a few months, the drivers will appear. In the meantime, you could access your machine from your wife's machine and print the file that way. That's assuming you have them networked.

EDIT>>> The only place you could download 64bit drivers for an Epson printer is Epson themselves. If they told you to use the 64bit Vista driver, ask them where from. Don't be tempted to download from elsewhere.
    Last edited by arraknid; 08-14-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Vista 64 bit

Thanks Arraknid. You are right as ever. A couple of points: 1. The man "at the shop" suggested installing Windows 7 and sold it to me in good style as being "stable, 64 bit and a huge improvement on Vista". 2. Epson didn't mention the fact that their product would not work with Windows 7 and, after all, we are in their hands. Tomorrow I am going to reinstall Vista (Business) which came with the machine as I have had continuous crashes in the last few days and the situation is getting worse. I am using Safe Mode to leave this message because the computer goes into a cycle of crashing and re-booting. Whatever the advantages Windows 7 may have, they are useless if you cannot use the machine. Thanks again and talk to you in a couple of days.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The man "at the shop" suggested installing Windows 7 and sold it to me in good style as being "stable, 64 bit and a huge improvement on Vista"
    He doesn't have the right to sell you any current copy of Win7. It hasn't been released yet, and the RC release is free, but will turn itself off in June 2010.

Epson didn't mention the fact that their product would not work with Windows 7
    As Win7 hasn't been released yet, I doubt they are required to. The RC release is not meant for mainstream distribution, more for evaluation by IT professionals, enterprise clients and software developers.

The sad bit is, Win7 is way better than Vista, so going back there may be a shock.

Blog Entries

Default Vista 64 bit

To be fair the man "at the shop" didn't charge me for Windows 7. I was using the word "sold" to describe his enthusiasm for the product. As for going back to Vista, "better the devil you know. . . . ". Thanks for your advice and comments. We're never too old to learn.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge