Default 2 Identical PCs, #1 Boots, #2 "not", need files from #2

I have 2 Gateway GM5260 PCs with Media Center Edition 2005. A few months ago, #1 will not boot: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file missing of corrupt. Multiple attempts to boot were unsuccessful. I slid it to the side and activated the new (identical system, never been used). Still working good, but I need some specific "personal" files from #1.

I've logged quite a number of hours trying to find workable solutions and have found some "excellent advice" on this forum's material. So far, the best explained material for a non-"texhie"!!

Other than personal file content, the 2 computers have the same basic "extra" programs (AVG, S&D, etc.). Knoppix addition is planned, sooner, if easiest, safest way to solve problem.

Question 1: Is it possible to use #2 to access these needed files on #1 and to reteive(copy) them?

Question 2: Can #1 HD be "jumpered" to #2 without physically being removed from the case?

Question 3: If so, by what process?

Question 4: If not, what is the connection process/sequence to remove the #1 HD and "jumper" it to #2.

I appologize if my "terms" aren't quite the right ones. I have 45+ years of automotive mechanical repair experience and a little time of CB "alterations", back in the day.

The first computer is unbootable, but the hard drive is probably working fine and you can retrieve your files very easily. The simplest and easiest would be to simply install the drive from the unbootable computer into the working computer. Once there, you should be able to access your files. Your computers use SATA hard drives, so no jumpers needed. You could also put the drive in a USB external drive enclosure. if you leave the drive in the unbootable computer, you could access it witha Linux live CD (like Knoppix), but you would need to have a way to copy your files (burn to CD, USB drive).

Charlie
    Last edited by Grim322; 08-14-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: more info

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By far the easiest is to remove the hard drive from the machine that won't boot and install it in the other.

Once installed, start the machine and your drive will show up in My Computer so you can transfer your files. Once done, reinstall into the other machine and reinstall the operating system.

EDIT>> Sorry Charlie, beat me by a minute.
    Last edited by arraknid; 08-15-2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: updated

Thanks a LOT!!! Guys

This is unbeleivable!!! ALL THIS TIME ..... and in only a few minutes, I get the replies I wanted/needed and I'm on the way to Home Depot for a hammer, Chissel and Crow Bar ..... 1st thing in the morning( ha, ha)!!

At 66, disabled and growing up on VWs, I always told my customers: "When out of town and you have trouble, ask around until you find someone who can give you a quik, workable answer, validate it by another with a similar to identical answer ...... and you have a scenario that will put you back going again. And .... it is usually going to be the cheapest route.

Things go sorta slow down here in South Alabama, BUT I promise to post back as soon as I get it done. Within 48 hours, I hope! I'm also building a shop building and rains coming in again!

Jim