Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Secunia PSI : End of Life and Insecure results

Secunia PSI has found WinDVD Gold 5 to be end of life and suggested it be removed. I don't recognise it - is it safe to remove or does it need to be replaced with something else (and if so, what?)

Also, for the first time ever, Secunia has also found that Word, Excel and Powerpoint (all 2000) are out of date. I'm not sure why it hasn't flagged these up before but do I really need to update them? I don't have the original Office disc for any of them so not sure how to go about it.

Thank you.

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

WinDVD Platinum 5 and WinDVD Gold 5.

What do they do? Both versions offer such features as Movie Encyclopedia, a searchable database of movie facts; Hyper-threading support, which lets users watch DVDs while working on their computers; and Enhanced Playback features, like letting users create...

You can remove that.. not sure about other question

oh I Did find this link on office 2000 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=EN

So I guess that is the latest update for office 2000 maybe that could be reason, not a 100% on your question just supplying infomation.
    Last edited by zep516; 08-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Also, for the first time ever, Secunia has also found that Word, Excel and Powerpoint (all 2000) are out of date. I'm not sure why it hasn't flagged these up before but do I really need to update them? I don't have the original Office disc for any of them so not sure how to go about it.

Thank you.

Steph
    Steph,

After selecting "Insecure tab" click the + sign, you should be supplied with the "Download Solution" button (see attachment) under the heading Toolbox toward the bottom on the left.

Others will have suggestions also I am sure.

kind regards,
    Attached Images

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why not just get rid of MS Office - which is approaching 10 years old, and replace it with a gleaming new version of Open Office. It's totally free, recognises all MS Office file types, and works much better.

I used to run Secunia until I found I was becoming absolutely paranoid about getting the absolutely latest update, and as with driver update software, on a couple of occasions I had to reinstall the original version to overcome problems.

I did hear about an update to word that meant updated (via windows update) office program would not open files made with office 2000, due to a risk factor.

You had to download a compatibility pack to open them, but there was no guarentee they would display properly.

Unfortunatly, where the information is now, i have no idea!

I agree with the open office suggestion.

Once you change, you'll wonder why you never did it sooner!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Thank you all for your helpful replies, as always

Re : WinDVD Gold 5

@zep : Where do I find this to remove it and how please? Start>Search found nothing and it's not in Add/Remove.

MS Office updates / Open Office

@ Arraknid : I did download OpenOffice a few weeks ago after you suggested it on a previous thread. I've had a play and it seems really good for creating new documents but I hadn't thought about actually uninstalling MS Word etc. I have a lot of Word and Excel documents in particular - if I uninstall these programs, do I have to convert the documents to OpenOffice first in some way and then save them again as Oo? I mean, if I uninstall Word and Excel, will that delete all my Word/Excel documents or render them unreadable?

Thank you.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries

If you uninstall MS Office, your created files will remain where you saved them to - possibly My Documents. OpenOffice will open and save all MS Office file types. Read this.

Before totally removing MS Office, start by opening your existing .doc and .xls files - in fact, any files created in MS Office, then when you are confident all is OK, uninstall MS Office.

If you want to, you could also set OpenOffice as the default program, though if I remember correctly, it asks you that during the installation.

Hi,

@zep : Where do I find this to remove it and how please? Start>Search found nothing and it's not in Add/Remove.
    Funny Secunia PSI finds the program, but a windows search doesn't. I would think that program installs to Program Files Folder .

So double click Mycomputer to open it, then double click Local Disk "C' now scroll around and look for Program Files Folder double click it, most programs install to this location an create a folder, look for any folder related to WinDVD Gold 5 that's all I can think of for now if you find any folder related right click it and choose delete, maybe Secunia PSI is finding a left over folder or something like that not a 100% here......

Let us know...

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, Secunia doesn't always get program identification right, which is another reason why I got rid of it. It's most likely that it's seeing another version of Win DVD but labelling it as WinDVD Gold 5. Try looking here...

c:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD\WinDVD.exe

Those sorts of programs often come preinstalled and get lost in the system, but they are still there. You can choose to ignore it or uninstall it. Check the folder to see if there's an uninstaller.

Thank you, I found WinDVD. I ran search again and it was there, must have mis-typed it before.

I also found it in Start>All Programs labelled as InterVideo WinDVD, not WinDVD Gold 5. There is an uninstaller - as it's not labelled exactly the same way that Secunia is flagging it, is it still OK to uninstall?

Open Office
    Arraknid, I must have unticked the option to use Oo as the default program during installation - where can I reset this? I looked under Options but couldn't find an appropriate setting.

Thank you.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast