Default Problem with shdocvw.dll file

A couple of weeks ago, I restarted my computer to finish an iTunes update. During the restart, I got a message saying that there was a problem with one of my drives, and Windows had to do a CHKDSK. I let it do that, and it was deleting corrupt and orphan files. When the computer finally restarted, I began getting error messages about a corrupt shdocvw.dll file. I have tried numerous things to fix it, but I can't replace it since the file is in use. I tried using a program called Unlocker, but that did not work. I tried restoring my computer back to an earlier point a month back. Nothing. Someone suggested I do a Windows Update since that program apparently checks files to make sure they're ok, and if they're not, it fixes them. That did not work.

I download a replacement DLL file from a web site, but I cannot replace it since the file is in use. I have no idea what to do, and everyone I know who is computer savvy is completely baffled. In the meantime, I'm unable to install any updates for any programs because of this problem. My computer is slowly starting to fail on me. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

I am running Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium on an HP Pavilion dv5 notebook computer. My computer did not come with a Vista CD, but it does have a recovery partition.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I suggest you download the .dll file from DLL-files.com - shdocvw.dll, free download to your desktop and unzip it to desktop. Reboot your PC to Safe Mode and go to C:\Windows\system32 and find shdocvw.dl, right click on it and rename to shdocvw.dll.old. Now go to the desktop and copy and paste the unzipped file to C:\Windows\system32 and close window > reboot as normal.

Hopefully the new .dll will now work. Keep us posted.