Default Computer Turn off right before loading any OS

Hello all,

Here is my dilemma.

I bough an eMachine T3642 with issues on the intent to repair it. I thought I had seen just about everything until I ran across the problem that I am stumped on now.

The computer boots up to POST no problems at all, but right when it is about to start loading windows it turns off.

I tried installing Vista on it and it does fine while the preloading screen comes up but when the white progress bar reaches the end of the screen and the Vista setup menu is about to load the computer turns off.

I figured maybe the DVDROM drive was causing the computer to malfunction so I put in a hard drive from another computer to see if it would at least try and load windows before the blue screen of death came up since it was an installation from another computer, but it did the same. Shut down immediately before windows could load.

I figured maybe the hard drive was causing the computer to malfunction so I put in a Windows Live CD and when the progress bar for loading the OS into RAM was finished the computer turned itself off.

I know it is not overheating issues because I can leave it paused in POST for an hour with no problems at all.

When the computer shuts down it is a pretty hard shut down because I have to pull the plug out of the power supply and wait a few seconds before plugging it back in before the computer will boot up again.

I have removed all the pereprials from the computer and swapped out the RAM.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

How much RAM have you installed. Vista needs at least 2 GIGs to work effectively, and in addition, how old is the machine, perhaps it's not Vista compatible?

Thank you for your response. The computer is a dual core running on the Athlon AM2 chipset. It can handle Vista. Also, the windows live CD is windows XP and it shut it down as well.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Your statement on how it shuts down makes me wonder if you have a problem with your power supply? I'm not into hardware, but I did find this Power-supply troubleshooting with a multimeter . Others will I'm sure give you the benefit of their knowledge, so stay tuned.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds as though the CPU is overheating and the PSU is shutting the system down to protect it. If you press the start to reboot, the machine will seem unresponsive, but will reboot after a few minutes of waiting. That's perfectly normal. Disconnecting and reconnecting will cancel that process and the machine will boot immediately.

At worst, the problem could be a dead processor or motherboard, but may just be that the processor heatsink needs re-seating using thermal paste, and all fans cleaning.

There's still the possibility, though, that the PSU may be faulty.

Personally, I'd suspect the processor itself. Even an overheating processor will usually get to the Windows Welcome screen, and with everything else you've described, you seem to have no working processor at all. Of course, changing the processor may highlight other problems like a faulty mobo.

Whether it's worth trying to repair is your choice, but it probably isn't a viable proposition - unless you have a pile of old machines stashed away.

Cheapest option for starters would be to swap the PSU and move on from there.