Default How to repair Windows Explorer

Dear Help2Go Experts,

I have Windows XP with recently installed SP3. My Windows Explorer will not display any "system files". Checking Tools - Folder Options - View -Show hidden files and folders will NOT be saved. I can NOT even see folders like "Temporary Internet Files".

After spending hours finding, downloading, installing and running various antivirus, antispyware, antimalware programs, I have NOT been able to fix the problem.

Is there a particular program or manual process to permanently remove the evil bug and permanently fix the problem?

I am NO computer geek and need some gentl hand holding :-)

Thank you!

Moderator Forum Moderator JohnB151's Avatar

Hi totalnovice and welcome to Help2Go!

This is probably not a malware issue, so I will move this topic to the Computer Help forum where hopefully somebody will know a solution and help you. Sorry for the late response, but the queue in the Spyware Help forum is quite big.

Regards,
    John.

1. Click "Start" -> "RunÖ" (or press Windows key + R)
    2. Type "regedit" and click "OK".
    3. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
    4. Look at the "CheckedValue" key. This should be a DWORD key. If it isnít, delete the key.
    5. Create a new key called "CheckedValue" as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
    6. The "Show hidden files and folders" check box should now work normally.

It can be a result of malware activity though so HijackThis log might be quite helpful.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you don't fancy going into the registry, download this file to your desktop, then double click it. Agree to adding to the registry, then restart your computer.

The download contains other entries that will bring the whole caboodle back to default settings.

Theseven is right when he says this could have been caused by malware, so that HJT log would be useful. Details here.