Question Does rstrui.exe Have Any Command-Line Parameters?

I have a somewhat odd technical question about WinXP's System Restore (rstrui.exe), though it's really just more of a technical annoyance/curiosity to me that an actual issue...

You see, I'm trying to write a batch file script to automatically backup my registry (figured that part out already), create a system restore point, backup my system state data, and then finally open regedit; thus making a little less tedious for me to edit my registry... Only I've ran into a slight hitch: I can't find any documentation on the command line parameters for rstrui.exe, which I must know if I'm going to pull this off. Does anyone happen to know what they are, or if they even exist?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Check out this link, particularly point #7. Not exactly what you are looking for, but may help.

Yep, that ought to do it, thanks arraknid, but now I'd like to know if there's any way to bypass the following drudgery of saving the current system state:

1. Go to Start -> All Programs -> System Tools -> Backup
    2. Click "Advanced Mode" link
    3. Click "Next"
    4. Choose location, file name & click "Next"
    5. Click "Finish"

To me, though necessary if one is to safely perform a manual edit of their registry, this process is very much a pointless ritual; and thus should be, and ought to be, automated by a script/program of sorts.

Blog Entries

I never use Backup. Besides, you are supposed to be writing the script!

Just finished it!!! I can see why you don't use backup - far too tedious, so I just omitted that. Anyway, I've attached my completed scripts, so anyone who'd rather take care of backing up their registry, create a system restore point, and then launch regedit automatically can now do so. Feel free to try it out, though it is rather simplistic, as my experience with batch scripting is both minimal and hasn't been utilized since I was about 7 years old.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jwesleycooper; 10-05-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Simplistic, but as you say, it works. Can I suggest you include a .txt file headed Read me which contains all deployment details. Not everyone knows how!

Great idea, I just updated the attachment with a ReadMe.txt file! I would have done this sooner, but my family's desktop was almost 40% fragmented yesterday, and defrag took quite a while...