Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need help installing AVG free 9.0

When trying to install AVG free 9.0 build 686 (10-13-09) on 2 different computers I get a message saying that Zone Alarm is potentially incompatible software and recommending uninstalling it. The Zone Alarm is Version 8.0.298.000 (free version) and is the only firewall I use so I don't want to uninstall it unless I can find something to replace it. Have others run across this problem? Are there any solutions? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi,

Putts

Yes I have seen complaints with AVG 9.0 and other firewalls too namely Comodo. Would you consider a different free Anti Virus? Such as Avast.

zep516

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Hi zep516:

Thanks for your reply. Although I have been using AVG for several years, I've read a number of comments referring to it as "crapware" and saying it has become "bloated." So, yes, I would be interested in a different Anti Virus. I run XP SP2. Would you give me a recommendation for a free Avast product??
    Thanks again for your help.

Putts,

Here is Avast free home addition----->FREE antivirus software with spyware protection: avast! Home Edition

Only Install 1 Anti Virus program, and 1 Firewall program.

Please let us know how it goes.

zep516.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Hi Zep 516:

I installed Avast Home Edition 4.8.1356, altho I downloaded it directly from Avast's site. After installing it, I got a message saying that Zone Alarm is potentially incompatible software. It also gave me the option of changing some setting of Zone Alarm. But while I was trying to understand & implement that change, Avast opened one window after another with each window asking me to make a decision regarding Avast which I wasn't prepared to do & finally felt overwhelmed by all of these Avast windows. Avast appeared to have good features but I could not handle all of these questions coming at me one after the other.

Last edited by zep516; 10-17-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Hi,

Putts.

I posted this late Avast! 4 setup hints did you see it? Is it any help to you?

Hi zep516:

I reviewed the info you suggested. As I mentioned in my original post I have Zone Alarm Free Ver. 8.0.298.00. I installed Avast Home Edition 4.8.1356, but due to the probs I encountered I've uninstalled it. I can see that one prob - the one relating to Zone Alarm being incompatible - doesn't apply since I have the Free version. I'm willing to try Avast again if I can get thru the install probs I mentioned. Also on CNET's site they state that: "Though it took quite some time to run, we're impressed with this application's boot-time antivirus scan." This makes me realize that I need to know more about Avast. How much customization can be done, especially WHEN it will do a scan & WHEN will it update itself? Is there a web site that would have answers, or better yet, a web site that has a Users Manual?

Thanks for the info you've given me. I really appreciate it. I'm hoping that I can move to an Anti Virus program which is better than AVG. Thanks!

Hi,

Putts.

Here is Avast forum that may be help Technical Support Let us know how you do there.

Standing by.

zep516.

Hi zep516:

I'm sorry I didn't respond quicker to your post. We've had a couple family members with H1N1 flu. And have been spending time caring for & helping them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast