Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer not starting up

I'm back with another problem. Ugh.

My computer, for no apparent reason, will not start up. After turning it on, it goes to a screen with a flashing underscore, which is usual. This usually lasts only for a fraction of a second. Now, however, it stays on that screen for around 10 seconds and then displays the message "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" while beeping. Pressing F2 brings the computer to the setup utility as usual, but does nothing to fix the problem. Striking F1 does nothing but make the computer beep. Every few seconds, the computer beeps again and then displays the "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" message again. It goes on and on like this and it won't start up.

Help please?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The reason why you are being asked to press F2 is to change your current settings which aren't allowing the machine to boot up. It won't fix itself, you have to make those changes. If you look along the top of the screen, you should see Boot. Use your arrow keys to select that option and see if you have a heading of Boot Configuration or Boot Order. Again, using your arrow keys go down to that option and press Enter. That will show you the order that your machine is accessing the various drives. Select the hard drive as first in the boot order then press F10 to save and exit.

Another option is to look at the bottom of the page and press the F key relating to default setup.

Also check that there's not a CD or DVD sitting in your drive.

Incidentally, I already checked that earlier. I changed it so that the Hard-Disk Drive C: was first in the sequence. There are also no disks in either of my drives, so that can't be it either.

The computer still is not starting up.

Blog Entries

It sounds as though your HD has a corrupted boot sector so can't boot up Windows. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? I doubt it'll work, but worth a try.

What version of Windows do you have and do you have any disks? If a retail PC or laptop, please supply the make and model.

Windows XP. Dell, Dimension 4550.

I'll try Safe Mode... and now I see that pressing F8 does nothing either.

Blog Entries

See if you can get into the Recovery Partition by following Step 3 here. If not, you probably have a dead hard drive. If you can, consider a Repair Install if available. If not, you may be left with a clean install which will overwrite everything on the drive.

Shoot.

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to you computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

Advice?

Blog Entries

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
    If the BIOS is recognising the drive, but can't access it, you could try repairing the boot sector. This explains how. You will need an XP disk, but any one will do, so try borrowing one if you don't have one.

Attempting to access Recovery Console provokes the same message.

Blog Entries

Is that when using a disk or the F11 recovery option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast