Default Problem with jerky audio/video rendering.

Hello everyone,

I'm submitting a problem which is in fact that of my neighbor, who has no Internet connection. I have translated from French, and I am searching on US/UK websites because we have found no answers at this time on French pages. Here goes :

When reading a commercial DVD, the sound appears jerky (distorted, synthetic, words missing), the video itself is slightly jerky. The phenomenon is more obvious when images or luminosity are switching quickly.
    The problem arose suddenly, when previously everything was fine. Besides, it is the second time this occurs (the first time I had reinstalled Windows to solve this problem). Consequently this is not a hardware issue.
    The problem does not seem to be related to the video readers used since, even if they render slightly differently, all those I have tested (Windows Media Player, VLC Player, Windows media Classic) appear to have that same problem.
    I do not believe this is a codec issue since, when reinstalling them (here K-Lite standard package), the problem persists.
    I believe there is a misconfiguration in Windows itself, but where?
    If you have a hint in order to resolve this problem, thank you in advance. Besides, I have the feeling this a problem widely shared.

Thanks for your help

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A few questions...

Can you tell us what version of Windows is installed and any service packs?

Can you also tell us whether the same audio problems occur when playing a commercial audio CD?

Is this a PC or a laptop?

Hello arraknid,

- It is a Windows XP OS, I believe (we should have figrued that out before) the SP is SP2 (or 3, not sure).
    - Concerning commercial audio CD, I will provide here the answer as soon as I get in touch with my neighbor again.
    - The computer is a PC.

It's very nice of you answering and I am embarrassed getting things more complicated due to the fact the computer not being mine, as I mentioned. As soon as can confirm question 1 and answer question 2, I will be back, right here.

Thanks again.

OK, I just got in touch with my friend. Here is the required information:
    - XP SP3
    - NO audio problem with commercial audio CD
    - The computer is a PC as mentioned.

Moreover, since, he has removed VLC Player and K-Lite Codec package (that is included Media Player Classic as well), rebooted, proceeded to a thorough Registry clean-up... with no improvement. As mentioned, the problem is likely to be system configuration issue.

Another point, when the problems first appeared (before Windows reinstall), they concerned only videos read from commercial DVDs, but not those videos once copied to and read from Hard Disk drive. Since Windows reinstall, described problems concern all commercial videos, from DVDs as well as copied to HDD, whilst traditional AVI MPEG FLV videos are OK.

Thanks again for hints/advice/help.

Blog Entries

As there's no problem with CD audio, it would seem that the problem lies with the actual decoding of the DVD data. CD audio goes directly to the sound card, whereas DVD audio is combined with the video data - both of which are highly compressed. When the DVD is played, the computer has to decompress the signal, split audio from video and send each one to its specific card which processes, synchronises and sends to screen and sound system.

All of that takes a lot of processing, so anything that's using the available resources is going to slow things down. Your first port of call has to be to shut down any unnecessary background processes. Run msconfig (see here), click on the Startup tab and disable any unnecessary processes. Most machines only need 4-6. If you have any doubts about what to disable, Run a HiJackThis scan and post it here for advice. Don't 'Fix' anything until advised.

Directly related to a shortage of resources is the choice of media player. WMP is a well-known resource hog, and is much better side-lined in favour of one of the 'light' players. VLC is probably one of the best available, so uninstalling probably wasn't the best idea. Same for the K-Lite codecs.

Next thing is to check that DMA is activated for the drive. This will explain how to do that.

If you have on-board audio as well as a PCI sound card, make sure one of them is disabled in Device Manager or BIOS.

Finally, you should try a lens cleaner to ensure the drive is able to see all data on the DVD. Reading disks with copied video files, like AVI, MPEG, and FLV isn't the same as reading commercial DVD's. They are completely different.

I find your mention of 'a thorough Registry clean-up' rather worrying. It really isn't necessary to clean your registry, despite what creators of such software tell you. In fact, without expert analysis of the scan results, you could render your computer useless! I carried out some tests on 'Registry Cleaners' with surprising results, see here.

If your neighbour is using a Registry Cleaner regularly, he may well have deleted important entries. The best place for such software is the rubbish bin!

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks a lot for your help and for your time, arraknid. My neighbor is getting the HiJackThis app I've provided to him (Trend Micro HiJackThis v. 2.02) to deliver its log file. His system not being mine, I don't wish to advise him incorrectly. I keep an eye myself on startup apps as well as services (though the latter being less obvious). We've taken good note on your remarks concerning Registry cleaning (though he cleaned with Macecraft's 'RegSupreme' which is not known to be a "killer")

Please find hereafter HiJackThis's log file content for the incriminated system:

----- START -----
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 21:09:52, on 26/10/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Liens
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Acrobat Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SERVICE LOCAL')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SERVICE RÉSEAU')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe

--
    End of file - 2565 bytes
    -------------------------------- END ------------------------------

Once again, thank you. And your considerations on this log file would be of course most welcome.

Blog Entries

You can disable the following, but all looks fine as far as startups are concerned.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] \"C:\Program Files\Acrobat Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe\"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

The latter is related to the Realtek Sound Management system and isn't necessary to run. You could even remove it completely using Add or Remove Programs and let Windows handle things. Be sure to leave the driver in place.

You should also update IE6 to IE7. A lot of websites no longer support IE6. Don't bother with IE8!

It's worth mentioning that uninstalling SP3 and going back to SP2 tends to solve lots of strange problems. It's worth a try because it can always be reinstalled.

It's your choice, or your neighbours, to run RegSupreme, but it isn't necessary. Paying for software that does nothing of any value isn't the best value for money.
    Last edited by arraknid; 10-27-2009 at 01:22 PM.

OK, arraknid, thanks for the analysis. I'll submit it to him right away.
    Concerning IE6, my neighbor doesn't have connection to the Net...
    Concerning SP3, I've never had whatever problem with it, but I didn't know that reversing to SP2 could fix any problems.
    I'll be back either within a half-hour or so, either tomorrow (the time here in France is 22:02) to describe upcoming system events
    Merci beaucoup

Blog Entries

De rien!

C'est gentli à vous, merci encore!

Well, no news from my neighbor since last night. I think he felt concerned about reversing to XP SP2, since this appears to be the only alternative at this time, though I suggested he reinstall the whole system and then be very cautious as to what he puts on his computer. He believes the problems mentioned are related to a commercial DVD which will have modified a system file, a Windows configuration (some old DVDs install software!). I suggested also he update to latest DirectX 9.0C, who knows (not me, frankly).
    As soon as he informs me of latest news, I'll transmit here, and if hope remains then we shall be eyes wide opened!