Default Apps (eg Firefox, Explorer) not loading in Vista

Hi there -- Had to do a system restore to solve the original problem of a Vista update in loop. Booted normally from safe mode and loaded all apps onto the desktop. However, none of the apps are loading (the screen dims and the circle spins. Other than trashing vista and going to Linux, any suggestions? Thank you ...Fred

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try doing a Repair Install using the Vista Recovery Option. It won't delete your data.

Default Apps won't load in Vista

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    Try doing a Repair Install using the Vista Recovery Option. It won't delete your data.
    Have to ask a dumb questions: what is a Repair Install and a Vista Recovery Option, and how do I access these features? I do not have the Vista media, it came pre-installed. Thank you! ...Fred

Blog Entries

What is the make and model of your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    What is the make and model of your machine?
    Thanks for getting back to me. I have an HP Pavilliontx2500z tablet.

Blog Entries

OK, you can access the Vista Recovery option by tapping the F11 key when you see the HP logo screen. This will launch the Startup Repair screen from where you can move on to the various options. This will explain. The first part of that tutorial is related to booting from the Installation DVD, so isn't relevant. What you should do asap is to create an installation disk as described here.

It's possible that you'll have to do a complete reinstall, so be sure you've copied all your data to an external storage medium.

Booted normally from safe mode and loaded all apps onto the desktop.
    When installing programs, you should do so in Normal Mode, not Safe Mode, using the default installation folders.