Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sage Instant Accounting V12

I need to restore my mums laptop but she has Sage Instant Accounting V12 installed on it which she had problems doing because she had installed it on her desktop PC first (I think you are only supposed to use the licence number once). Anyway I have saved the program files to my external hard drive so should I just be able to transfer them back to her laptop once the system restore has been performed or will there be other 'hidden' files that the sytem restore will remove? The laptop is an NEC but not sure what model as it does not say on it, there is a sticker on it that says powered by celeron. Any help with this would be gratefuly appreciated before I do the restore.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you using the Windows System Restore option to go back to a recent point in time, or are you reinstalling Windows?

Well I want to use Windows System Restore but therein lies another problem, when I open the system restore box it is blank. System is Windows XP (home edition I think).
    I would like to just restore from a certain date but not sure what that date will be because I need to remove an unremovable bit of McAfee Antivirus that seems to be hidden in the depths and I dont know if this was put on before or after the Sage.

Blog Entries

Try running the McAfee Uninstaller tool, see here. Full instructions are on that page.

Thanks for link tried to find it myself for ages, Ok have now removed all traces of McAfee but still need to do system restore because:

When logging on I get this message:

Windows-System Error
    A duplicate name exists

The laptop is also running slow
    Help and Support will not open
    Sytem Restore box is blank

Blog Entries

That's a network error. Are you on a network - home or otherwise?

Ah yes have both laptops, mine and my mums connected to my wireless broadband

The system restore box is ok now and the help and support is also working. Am going to try and install an antivirus program now would you recommend AVG or Avast (free versions)

Blog Entries

That's a strange error to see on a home network. Basically, it means that both machines have the same network ID which is not allowed. Each machine has to have a unique ID. Anyway, it sounds as though it's cleared itself.

If you experience the same problem again, there is a way to fix it, but it does need care. First, read this, then follow the instructions here. If you can't access one machine, do it on the other.

You will need a Windows XP Pro installation disk to access the necessary tools, so if you don't possess one, you could try to borrow one.

As far as an antivirus is concerned, I would always advise installing Avast. AVG has become rather bloated in its latest versions.

I have just tried to install a Microsoft update - Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update..........(it then gives all the OS's its for).....R2 (KB953297) - but it wont install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast