Exclamation help me please!!!

I love my computer but last week, I bought a used monitor and once I pugged it up, my computer would not come on and on the monitor screen it read out of range so my husband processed to go into F2 mode and he changed a lot of things I dont know eactly what but the computer then started to shutting itself down or if i pressed the power on button it would turn that orange color not green and it would just make a funny noice. well I later was able to get it on and I hit F8 and ask it to take me back to a previous working date were it worked fine. I hope I have not lost you!! I also noitice that my husband had changed the speed from normal to compatiable so when I changed it back, my computer appeared to work fine but about 30 minutes it shut itself down again but this time across the screen was a message that read atert!! shut down due to thermal evernts can you help me!! what have we done? Have I totally killed my computer......
    Angela Covington
    Last edited by angela covington; 10-28-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: mispelling

The original problem was that the computer video output could not be handled by the monitor. To straighten it out properly, we need to know the make and model of your computer, what operating system you are running, the make and model of your graphics card and the make and model of your monitor. It will probably run OK in safe mode. Once in safe mode, you can change the video output to match your monitor (once we know what that output needs to be). A resolution of 800 x 600 with a refresh rate of 60 is usually safe and will run on most systems. It is by no means the best, but it will run while we figure it out.

The thermal event is another issue, but let's take one thing at a time. Getting the monitor straightened out may take care of it.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, Iwhen the used monitored did not work I just pugged my old monitor back up so did that fix the problem or had I already cause the damage by pugging the monitor up in the first place. now I did some research on thermal events and most of the information that I received about it was that my fan my not be working due to dust build up or some that caused my fan not to work, so is that what you think? What do I need to do next?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I can make a suggestion here...

my husband processed to go into F2 mode and he changed a lot of things
    If the machine was running OK, there was no need to change anything in BIOS. As Charlie points out, this is a resolution/refresh rate mismatch and can be fixed as he describes. If your husband has changed something he shouldn't, like the processor clock speed, that could well be triggering the thermal warning. Simplest thing is to go back into BIOS and reset to default settings which will undo any changes made.

I second that. Put everything back to like it was before the problem. Then if you want to use the new monitor, hook it up and start in safe mode. Then adjust the resolution and refresh rate to match it. This often happens when going from an old CRT monitor to a flat screen LCD. CRT often have a refresh rate of 75 while the LCD usually runs at 60. If you look up info on your new monitor, you will find the resolution and refresh rate that is best for it. You can run into a situation where your graphics card can't put out the correct output. In that case, get as close as you can. If it still won't work, you can change the graphics card.

Charlie