Default CD drive stopped working

My computer has worked fine since setting it up about six months ago; suddenly I discovered that the CD drive (I have only one) no longer works, with either data or music CDs, or with CDs that I've made or bought. Flash drives work, C: seems to work fine. But CDs won't load. My virus protection is up to date, and I've scanned the computer, but nothing harmful shows up.

What's the make and model of you computer? What's the operating system installed?

Open Mycomputer do you see the cd drive listed there?

Have you checked connections to the drive?

Default CD drive stopped working

Sorry, I suppose that's important info. It's an HP Pavilion - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU - with Vista Home Premium. The CD drive is inscribed on the front: "LightScribe DVD SuperMulti Drive/CD Writer" but two drives show up when I check properties of E:, which is the drive in question:
    TSST corp CDDVDW TS-H653N and Hitachi HDT 725050VLA360. I don't think there was another drive installed at one time, but two show up. The control panel does not list the Hitachi one. Please be patient with me - I'm doing a lot of this stuff for the first time.

There's another small problem: my ex set up this computer about two years ago, and she put passwords on everything - and now claims she doesn't remember them. The computer won't allow me to get into some areas without a password, mostly areas that have to do with changing any settings. That might put a damper on my being able to fix anything, although I'm still going to try. Any ideas?

won't allow me to get into some areas without a password, mostly areas that have to do with changing any settings.
    I truly think you need to address the above issue first or you will run into dead ends.

Either reinstall or use the provided recovery discs to restore the computer to factory settings.

We can see what others think on this too.

Thanks - it may take a while to find the discs - I moved recently, and not everything is unpacked. I'll repost the CD drive issue when I have reset everything.