Unhappy screen freezes up?

can anybody help my problem is every now and then my screen freezes up and the mouse wont work or the keyboard so the only way to get screen back on is to switch off and on again,which is so annoying and time consumming.my system is windows xp and i can be on or off line this does not matter.

thanks jimmy

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Download and install ccleaner . Using the default settings, click 'run cleaner'. ( note: do not use the included Registry cleaner, or any Registry cleaner for that matter .. they can cause more problems than they do good). This should get rid of any Internet temp files etc. How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Smile screen freezes

thank you so much for your reply,it has only happened once since i did what you said so fingers crossed.in answer to your question yes i have plenty of room on my hard drive does this make any differance?

thanks again

jimmy

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I'm glad it has helped, and yes, for your PC to work efficiently there should be 15 to 20% free space on your main HD. This allows 'elbow room' for larger applications or utilities/programs that take a long time to operate .. defragmentation is one such application. As well as RAM being used, virtual memory, space on the HD, is also used.

im sorry to report the problem is still happening,but no where near as often,so it has helped a lot without getting rid of the thing,any other good ideas would be welcome.

jimmy