Thread: dbx files

Unhappy dbx files

I have just had a load of trouble with one of my PCs I would like to transfer files and settings from this one running XP home edition. To my new one running Vista64 bit I have had a major catastrophe with the Xp machine, the hard drive blew up in a big way luckily I had not long ago made a complete backup of the hard drive onto a USB external hard drive he my so called friend installed a new hard drive into the machine he installed what he called a black edition of XP professional I found that this did not contain Outlook Express which I thought precluded the correct format of my backup being restored on to this PC. I would like to transfer all files and settingsto my new PC but I don't wish to cause any snags with the Vista PC. I have been trying to find a free program to restore the dbx files. Please can you help.
    Regards Terry Foster

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Terry,

You already have a utility included in XP called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. This will explain how it works.

One problem you'll have is transferring from a 32bit system to a 64bit one. Your personal files and system settings will be OK, but installing any existing programs could be problematic, in that they won't necessarily run on a 64bit system.

Red face File transfer

Hi Arraknid, thanks for the info I will give it atry and hopefully it should work I will be back intouch with you if it doesn't.
    Thanks again Terry Foster