Arrow Generic Host Process for WIN32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close

I have a hard disk with four Primary partitions. The first partition is Active and contains Windows XP Professional. An image was taken of the first partition and restored to the second partition of equal size so it too contains Windows XP Professional. When I boot from the first partition into Windows everything works fine and Disk Management reports the disk partitions as:

1. (C:) 29.29 GB NTFS Healthy (System)
    2. (X:) 29.29 GB NTFS Healthy
    3. (Y:) 203.59 GB NTFS Healthy
    4. (Z:) 203.58 GB NTFS Healthy

I then make the second partition Active and reboot expecting the system to boot from the second partition. But it didn't. It booted from the first partition even though it was no longer the active one. Disk Management reported the disk partitions as:

1. (C:) 29.29 GB NTFS Healthy (Page File)
    2. (X:) 29.29 GB NTFS Healthy (System)
    3. (Y:) 203.59 GB NTFS Healthy
    4. (Z:) 203.58 GB NTFS Healthy

Shortly afterwards I received an error message: "Generic Host Process for WIN32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close."
    The system 'hung' so I had to power off / power on the computer to restart.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get the system to boot from the second partition and to assign it the drive letter (C:)?

The hard disk referred to here is the second of two on-board hard disks. The first hard disk contains my regular copy of Windows and is the one I normally boot from. The purpose of the second hard disk is to provide a Windows partition where I can test new applications and a second partition where I had hoped to try out other operating systems.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi rgibson,

As I said in your previous thread, I'm not really sure what you are trying to achieve here. If you want the ability to boot from either partition, you need to actually install the operating systems rather than merely copying an image to the second partition. You can try rebuilding the bootcfg file and editing the boot.ini file, but there may well be problems when you try booting to the image file. See here.

If you want to create 2 identical XP installs, as you have 2 hard drives installed in that machine, with room for more, you should consider setting up a RAID1 array, also known as mirroring. Once set up, whatever you do in one version of XP is copied to the other completely transparently. That means if one drive fails the other just picks up and runs normally. There are some drawbacks with that sort of setup, but it may suit you. Read more here.

Undoubtedly, the best option for backing up your system is by using scheduled backups to an external drive using proprietary software like Acronis True Image or Norton Save and Restore.

Using an internal drive for backup is not ideal. Any problem on the main machine could destroy data on all drives leaving you with nothing.

Arrow

Thanks arraknid,

I do want to boot from either partition of my second internal hard drive (disk 2). This is really not about system backups (I wouldn't be interested in a RAID setup, I already backup images of the Windows partition of my first internal hard drive (disk 1) to an external drive on a regular basis and no backups are stored on either of my internal drives). I have read the Microsoft article you recommended but it's not clear to me which Boot.ini files I should be modifying to allow me to boot from the second partition of disk 2 and which of the two partitions should be made active before booting from disk 2. Below is what the Boot.ini files in the first two partitions of disk 2 look like right now. Currently, I can successfully boot from an active first partition but not from an active second partition.

First partition's Boot.ini
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Second partition's Boot.ini
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Blog Entries

I suggest you use the bootcfg command which will physically scan your hard drives to detect installed versions of Windows, then rebuild the boot.ini file to create a dual-boot menu at startup. There's no guarantee it'll work because the second Windows system was copied to the partition rather than actually installing it.

You can use either bootcfg /rebuild or bootcfg /add. This will explain the details, but you will need the XP disk or already have the Recovery Console installed.

Thanks... I'll read what you suggest and let you know whether or not I'm successful creating the boot menu. Given that the Windows operating system in the first partition of disk 2 was created by restoring an image of Windows from disk 1 (vs. installing it which I couldn't do because Dell didn't supply the required disk), and given that this copy works fine when I boot from it, wouldn't you expect the copied Windows system in the second partition of disk 2 to work just as well?

Blog Entries

wouldn't you expect the copied Windows system in the second partition of disk 2 to work just as well?
    It should once the boot manager is installed. I suggest you give each version of XP a slightly different name so you can tell which is which. It'll get quite confusing knowing where you are if both have the same name.

Dell didn't supply the required disk
    Where is the recovery partition? If you still have it, try googling for ways to create a recovery disk from a data partition.

Will the boot manager work for my purposes no matter where it's installed (on disk 1 from where I normally boot or on the first partition of disk 2)?

The recovery partition is in the third partition of disk 1 (this disk contains three partitions, namely DellUtility, Windows, DellRestore). I wasn't aware I could create a recovery disk from the DellRestore partition. What purpose did you have in mind for such a disk?

Arrow

After reading the stuff you suggested I decided to manually edit the boot.ini file on the first partition of disk 2 to add the second partition's operating system as shown below. When I boot from the active first partition of disk 2 I'm presented with the choice of the two operating systems and both choices work fine. So my problem has been solved. Thanks arraknid for pointing me in the right direction.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on P1" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on P2" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Blog Entries

No problem.