cls

Default Wireless Signal but no Connection

Hello, signal strength shows but "DNS is not responding" message when I do a scan. Network Map shows my neighbor connected to Netgear but shows me with an X. Worked fine before she showed up. Can't we both be on? Can I get her off? Thank you.

The chances are that you haven't set up wireless security on your router.
    You need to log in to your router and set up the encryption method. I suggest you use WPA/WPA2-PSK if your computer's wireless card supports it.

Please post the model of your wireless router if you need any further assistance.

cls

Thank u 4 replying. I am not using a router.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you explain what it is you are trying to connect to? Do you pay for your own connection or are you using someone else's?

cls

Wireless internet. Have been connecting to Netgear, local connection. Am not paying. Thank you.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it's not your connection and you don't pay for anything, unless you have a local community connection, you are using someone else's connection which is actually theft and you can be prosecuted.

It sounds as though the neighbour's previously open connection has been protected with a security key, thereby locking out you and anyone else trying to gain access.

cls

It is not the neighbor's connection, I was connecting directly to an Internet service. As my original ? says my neighnor is now connected (has access)to the internet service & is not allowing me anymore. On the Newtork Map shows me with an X to the internet access and below me shows neighbor with an arrow connected to the internet service. Previoulsy just showed me with the arrow.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Sure would like to know the Internet service that's giving away connections to the Internet for free. Sure sounds like piggy-backing on someone's unsecured Internet signal. Are you at college or an institution that has wireless access? If so, you need to get in touch with the administrator for set up and password.

You state
    As my original ? says my neighnor is now connected (has access)to the internet service & is not allowing me anymore.
    If he's not allowing you any more means that it's his signal and he doesn't have to share it with anyone. Perhaps it's time that you got intouch with an ISP and get set up.

Who actually pays for the Internet service? Is it a free wi-fi set up or an individual account?
    Charlie