Question Problem with system restore

Hi.
    I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    My grand daughter kinda messed up her pc, and its the only way she can keep in touch with her hubby in Afghanastan.
    She couldn't get online or anything at all. All her ICONS are gone and her desktop is black.
    I did a restore point to a date last week; and now she can get online for a short time, but her desktop is still black and she keeps getting disconnected.
    We can get into the control panel and I tried to do a factory restore. I thought that was an easy process, but its not. They keep talking about "backup files". Every option there refers to backup files. She has no backup files. When she bought the pc, they were stationed in Alaska. Any disks or info that came with the pc are in storage there.
    She has a laptop HP and is running Windows Vista.
    She has a warning box that popped up saying her privacy/security/ETC license expired in October. It actually listed about 9 of these licenses altogether that expired.
    It also said that she had 143 corrupt files and viruses.
    Is there a way to restore this computer to factory without backup files? If there is, Will she need a disk to reinstall Windows Vista? Is there a place I can get that for her?
    We have the model# of course.
    I know this is a mess; but I sure hope you can help.
    Thanks so much for your time

Alyce

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's possible you have a malware infection, but we'll try something else first.

Click here and save the file to the desktop of the affected laptop. Double click the file and agree to adding to the registry. Restart the computer and see if there's a difference.

If not, you should go here and follow the instructions.

If you are unable to download any of the necessary tools directly to the laptop, download using another machine and save to a flashdrive. Insert the flashdrive in the affected machine and run the installations from there.

If you take that route, please let us know and we'll close this thread.

Smile Thanks so much Arraknid

First we'll try installing it to her desktop. I don't hold much hope of that working. I've downloaded it on my pc and have put it on my flashdrive along with your instructions. I'll let you know how that works. Thanks so much Arraknid for answering so quickly....

Alyce

Default So far no difference

Hi Again,
    We downloaded and installed the desktop/taskbar fix and no change. I have downloaded all the other programs onto my flash drive and will try them tomorrow.

Remember my mentioning the box that popped up about the license being expired? Well I took my camera and snapped a pic of that screen; and with a little luck I can post it here. There is one that actually says the system has crashed. This screen is the first thing you see after she enters her password.
    Attached Images

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's definitely a malware infection, generally known as scamware. What you are seeing on the screen is fake and designed to scare you into paying money to renew the 'licence'. The promise is that all will then be cleaned up and everything will return to normal, but actually, even after paying, you'll never hear anything again and the infection will remain.

Follow the instructions from the link I gave you and when posting in the Spyware forum, include a link to this thread which will now be locked down.

Good luck.