Default Power switch fault?

Hi, please can someone help me? I've been given a computer and although the monitor plug is connected to the monitor port on the motherboard, there is still no display, there's power to the monitor & the monitor worked on a previous computer but doesn't work on the new computer. Also, when I plug the mains power lead into the back of the computer the system starts without pressing the on/off button on the computer. Can someone please advise? Thank you.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If the monitor worked just recently, chances are your graphics card is damaged and need replacing. As far the PC starting directly after plugging it in the mains, chances again are that the on/off switch is broken. The switch and low end graphics card can be had for very little and if you're a handy person you could do it yourself. On the other hand, there may be more wrong with it and so, depending on how much you want to spend, take it into a reputable computer store and have them go over it. If they quote more than a couple of $100, I would think seriously on buying a new one for a couple of hundred more.

Thanks for the reply, it'll give me something to work on.