Default What Does "Out Of Range" and Some Frequency Errors Mean On Computer Bootup??

I purchased a computer online and it booted fine the first time but I noticed I couldn't get it to even open up because it seemed STUCK closed. Then I haven't used it until trying to boot it to add some software yesterday. All of sudden I am getting this error message AFTER it appears to be booting fine. Goes through the Windows XP, etc. screen and I can access the Setup and Boot Menus. It is running Windows XP Professional. Anyway there is a small square box in the middle of my monitor screen that says "OUT OF RANGE HF: 30KHZ - 60KHZ VF: 55HZ - 75 HZ CURRENT FREQUENCY HF: 67 5KHZ VF:75HZ." It is dead to the world once that screen appears. I am going to return it to the seller on Monday and hope I get my refund unless this is a simple fix that I am unaware of. The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX280 PC XPP 1.5GB 2.8 P4. It is not the skinny version but the full size desktop and is one of those reconditioned computers from former office. Any ideas on this?? Thanks for any help! Linda

"OUT OF RANGE HF: 30KHZ - 60KHZ VF: 55HZ - 75 HZ CURRENT FREQUENCY HF: 67 5KHZ VF:75HZ."
    That looks like a monitor problem. Do you have a different monitor to try with the computer? If not, adjusting the screen resolution may help.
    Google adjust screen resolution in XP
    Let us know if that helps.
    Here's a link that may be helpful Windows XP: Change your monitor resolution
    Last edited by zep516; 12-12-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Trying to boot into safe mode (by tapping F8 on startup) would be a good start.

This loads the standard graphics driver at minimum resolution, so would rule that out as a problem if the issue remains, If it boots fine, and no error occurs, then Zep's advice is on the money.

Of course, if its reconditioned, and not working, the best advice is to return it to them as "Not Fit For Purpose", which under distance selling regulations means you can return it as faulty with the seller picking up the postage bill.

Make sure its sent recorded delivery! these things often get "lost"

EDIT:
    Make sure you also follow their returns procedure. Just returning it is not enough, most places need a RTM ticket filled out, and they may just ask you to take it to a local professional if this works out cheeper.

Make sure you dont go tinkering tho, it may void any warrenty!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Hello and thanks to you both! Well it WAS the monitor and I am happy because now I don't have to pack it all up and ship back at my expense, although he was going to pay me the original shipping. Strange thing the same monitor works on my EMachines computer running Vista as I just tried it. Wonder what setting is messed up on the Dell that is causing this? Well the computer appears to be working so that's fine and I will advise the seller. Gosh I am so glad I found this site!! You guys rock!!! Linda :-))

I'm slightly confused...

What fixed it? have you a new monitor? whats changed so it now works?

If the monitor works on 1 pc, but not another, its probably a resolution setting at fault. Safe mode would let you in to fix it.

Pleased your up and running, whatever the cause!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Hi MrDarn - I did have another monitor that is attached to my Gateway machine. So I brought that one in the room and hooked it up to the Dell with issues. Bingo...worked like a charm. I agree with you, it is no doubt a video setting. The monitor I was using on the Dell is really old. One of the early LCD monitors but it works on that Vista machine. LOL. I will check out the video settings in the SETUP area of the Dell computer and see what is happening there. Appreciate you writing me back. Have a great weekend! Linda

its a simple case of changing the resolution to its lowest setting, turning off the computer, attaching the new monitor and booting up as normal. Then you can increase the resolution a little at a time to the desired level.

This first part can also be done in safe mode, if you dont want to attach the older monitor first.

Good to hear a problem solved tho, you know where we are if you need us

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7