Thread: System Restore

Blog Entries

Question System Restore

Hi one and all.

I'm afraid my computing knowledge is very limited, so please bear with me! I basically use the computer for paying bills, shopping and downloading music to my grandson's i-phone. However, I do appreciate that you have to keep Windows Updates and security programs updated.

I've recently had a problem where I have not been able to install Windows updates and over a period of 14 days of communicating with Microsoft support, I eventually managed to install updates by enabling a system restore(something which microsoft.support never suggested I try do!)

My problem now, is that owing to the system restore, I've lost an installed program and I now want to try another restore to get this program back but obviously, I don't want to lose my installed Windows updates in the process. Is there a course of action I can take, say, a back-up of Windows Updates before attempting the system restore?

O.S Vista Home Premium SP2

Grateful for any help and advice. BobbyZee

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi BobbyZee

Any updates you lose will be automatically replaced by the AutoUpdate feature of Windows Vista. However, that can take some time to complete, so you'd be better going direct to the website and doing the updates from there. Make sure all critical updates are completed first, then move onto the others.

Here's the link...

Windows Update site

Blog Entries

Many thanks for your helpful advice arraknid, sorry it has taken so long to thank you but I have had more problems and in the end decided to call in a "techie"!
    He's done a good job, computer's running well, all updates installed ok, touchpad working for the first time in over a year but he's uninstalled my ZoneAlam Pro, Avast!4.8Home Pro and Superantispyware and has installed Microsoft Security Essentials! He said MSE is all I need plus Malwarebytes which I was running anyway. Any thoughts? Cheers, BobbyZee

Blog Entries

We'll get one of our Spyware guys to comment. Just hang in there. Things are pretty busy right now,

Blog Entries

Just had a word, and he says that for normal everyday surfing and occasional downloads you are good to go, so happy and safe surfing.

Blog Entries

Once again, many thanks for your help and advice. I could always reinstall ZoneAlarm/Avast but MSE has had good reviews so I'll stick with it.
    Best Wishes for Xmas and Happy New Year!

BobbyZee