Default recovering data from a network drive

Yesterday I turned on my computers and discovered that all my files for 2009 were removed from my network drive. They were in a folder named 2009. I, unfortunately, have not done a backup since March and also use SyncToy to keep things up to date on other drives and computers and have not done that recently either (stupid I know). From April to October I usually spend all my time outside or away with horses so I don't do much on the computer. When the weather goes downhill I get back to it. I really need to get these files back and there is no recycle bin on that drive. They are not in any computers recycle bin either. Just disappeared. All other files and directories on that network drive are still there. XP on two computers and Vista on the laptop. I hope someone can help me get them back. Be in big trouble if I don't.
    Thanks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Very strange indeed. Try this recovery program Recuva it's free and we've had some successes with it. There are more powerful recovery programs out there that cost and if all else fails, there are companies that can recover data, but that's mega bucks.

Keep us posted.

Recuva works OK but does not find my network drive it will only recover from drives on the computer it runs from.
    What else do you recommend?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You could try installing the drive into one of the PC's and running Recuva from there. It should also recognise drives connected via USB, so you also have the option of fitting it into an external case.

it is in it's own case and it is network no usb

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In that case, I suggest you go for the other option of fitting the drive into a PC. Be aware that the more you use the drive, saving, updating, etc, the more likely any deleted data will be overwritten and corrupted.

I'm not sure I can take it out of it's case. Have to look.
    Thanks