Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help

Default help

I was on my Hp pc surfin when it locked up and the tower just starting beeping. I turned it off, unplugged it, unplugged the modem and router several times but it just keeps beeping and a blank screen on the monitor. Very strange, anyone ever heard of this happening?

Thx......Sal

This beeping is coming from your computer tower and not the speakers right?

The beeps are a "code" and the pattern will diagnose your problem a little better.

Please describe the "beeps" pattern, ie "1 long, 3 short, 1 long, 3 short" or "2 short 2 long 2 short 2 long"
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Default help

Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn View Post
    This beeping is coming from your computer tower and not the speakers right?

The beeps are a "code" and the pattern will diagnose your problem a little better.

Please describe the "beeps" pattern, ie "1 long, 3 short, 1 long, 3 short" or "2 short 2 long 2 short 2 long"

Yes from the tower its 2 short beeps and 1 long one over and over. I unplugged everything overnite and tryed again this morning. I started it up and now its frozen on the black page that asks "Please select the operating sys to start" and any buttons I push on the keyboard does nothing. But it sounds like there is a windows screen behind it or active but I just can't get to it.

Yes from the tower its 2 short beeps and 1 long one over and over. I unplugged everything overnite and tryed again this morning. I started it up and now its frozen on the black page that asks "Please select the operating sys to start" and any buttons I push on the keyboard does nothing. But it sounds like there is a windows screen behind it or active but I just can't get to it.

Try taking the ram out and only use 1 stick at a time if you have more then 1 stick installed. Also see below:

See link for Beep Codes

Computer Post / Beep codes

let us know

Could also be the Graphics card, depending on the BIOS type.

I was under the impression HP used Phoenix, but it seems i may be wrong.

Do you know which BIOS your computer uses? Normally their logo/info is the first thing displayed before windows loads.

After trying Zeps RAM suggestion, try taking ALL the ram out, and see if the beeps are the same.

If not, try removing the graphics card and using the on-board graphics.

If this is gobledygook to you, or your computer is still under warrenty, stop now, before trying anything, and have it looked at by a service center. You may get it fixed free!

If its out of warrenty, and you want to try to fix it yourself, try the above, and get back to us if you need further info.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Well I'm hoping I figured it out. I pulled every board out of the computer I could one at a time to see if the beeping would stop. The culprit was the modem board where the phone line plugs in. HP wants $44 for a new one. Everything seems to be working fine without it. Do I even need this card?

Thx to all of you that helped and Merry Christmas..........Sal

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are on a broadband connection, no you don't need it. Only exception is if you use an external FAX modem, or want a second connection option if broadband goes down.

HP wants $44 for a new one
    Daylight robbery!

Default Help Again

Well I new it was to good to be true the HP pavilion m7667c is doing it again 2 short beep a 1 long one. I tried pulling every card again one at a time and its not going away. I don't know what else to do.

Thx....................Sal

Do you know which BIOS your computer uses? Normally their logo/info is the first thing displayed before windows loads.
    Do you have this info?
    After trying Zeps RAM suggestion, try taking ALL the ram out, and see if the beeps are the same.
    What happened when you tried this?
    If not, try removing the graphics card and using the on-board graphics.
    does your version have a seperate, removable graphics card?
    ...or your computer is still under warrenty, stop now, before trying anything, and have it looked at by a service center. You may get it fixed free!
    Is it still under warrenty?

The BIOS question is the most important at the moment, but answers to the rest will come in handy. Let us know as much as you can

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast