Default hard drive questions

Here is the pic : Imageshack - 58900428

I used hd tune, and it shows me 3 hard drive. and one has no name, i go to my pc and i only see 2 drives. why is there 3 drives?

also, why isn't C the bootable drive? and how come the usage is not 100% total?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You only have 2 physical drives, the first one has been partitioned by the manufacturer to have some additional data on it, but the majority of it (C drive) is for the rest of your programs. In fact, looking at it again, you may very well have only one hard drive with 3 partitions on it, D partition being for use should you need to recover the operating system. Looks to be a total of 300 Gigs of hard drive. Give us the make and , model of the PC and we can check out further. Is it a fairly old PC? Your C drive is the boot drive.
    Last edited by Canuck; 01-04-2010 at 01:13 AM.

oh, this is the laptop.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...6-1350us-15-6/

i just bought it

Your laptop comes with 320 Gigs
    and how come the usage is not 100% total?
    what you're seeing is the % of used space on the HD. If you double click on My Computer you will see the breakdown of used and free and total size. It looks like a very nice laptop and what you're seeing is quite normal. Enjoy

ok thanks, i dont know if you are familiar with hdtune, but on my desktop computer when i push health, it doesn't show anything.

and for hard drive, it shows this. and i wonder why the usage is over 100% on this one.
    Imageshack - desktopsl

now, back to the laptop, i don't know what it is, but i hear a little sound coming from the speaker. it's not the fan, although i can hear the fan too. i hear some ticking, it's like 2 discs spinning against each other and making a sound. to notice it, you have to listen to it carefully. i wonder if that's normal.

No, I don't know HDTune. The figures given may be Memory Usage as you'd find in the Windows Task Manager > Processes (Ctl + Alt + delete). Othere who have used HDTune may wish to comment, so stay tuned.

As far as the sounds are concerned, if it's a new laptop, take it in and ask the techs in the store to analyze it. It could be nothing, or a faulty hard drive, but it would be a guess on our part.