Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There's nothing up here around this computer. The thing is on an older system I too have recently had this clicking issue and that one I know I installed some similar things as this but then again.. i don't know no devices or thermostats are around this but hmm. Did yours sound like someone clicking a link in IE? I am hearing it now as I type this unless I turn off my speakers.

Let me try safe mode in a moment and see.

and I wanted to mention I appreciate you helping me on this.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yet another thought.

As the Safe Mode option will only indicate system and external noise problems, because the sound card drivers aren't loaded, you should run the following first. It'll activate your sound card drivers. Copy and paste into Notepad and save it to your desktop as soundsafe.reg. Then double click the file and confirm adding to your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="[6cFgE][Sοuпd, νideo and game controllers]"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}]
    @="Portable Media Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\AudioEndpointBuilder]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Audiosrv]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HdAudAddService]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HDAudBus]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\drmkaud]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MMCSS]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    @="[6cFgE][Sοuпd, νideo and game controllers]"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}]
    @="Portable Media Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\AudioEndpointBuilder]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Audiosrv]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HdAudAddService]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HDAudBus]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\drmkaud]
    @="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MMCSS]
    @="Service"
    Last edited by arraknid; 01-13-2010 at 03:32 AM.

Yes, there are a lot of cheap small electrical products without surpessors in the consequence is that they can cause clicking through sound sytems etc, before demolishing your system try your system very very late at night if possible to rule any interference you could possibly pick up from a third party etc, even just to rule it out

We had bad snow problems here so I couldn't reply and....
    I ran my computer in safemode and no clicking at all. BUT that was before I read your last message about making the reg file to run (because I couldn't get online.)

Anyway when I paste that into notepad it doesn't support some characters. I guess I can download notepad++ and use that right?

I still get the clicking though. Did the feedback test and there's nothing that's causing the clicking at all. I looked at everything inside and it looks fine. I wonder if it is that alienware command center or something. I get this feeling the link clicking sound I'm hearing is also something loading. When I heard it the other day I was actually doing something besides playing a game and it looked like I has lost the cursor for just one second, but I'm not entirely sure. I ran every scan possible and it did this before a reformat when it was "factory new" and even with the fresh reformat I was getting that clicking.
    Last edited by jessicka; 01-13-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try it again. This time change the Encoding type from ANSI to Unicode.

I didn't get it when i did the above, but i noticed now the click sometimes brings up the spinning windows 7 icon. Something must be running that is doing this. I don't know what's exactly safe to shut down. is there something better i can run to see than hijack this, ccleaner, malwarebytes, hitmanpro, and all the other suggested on help2go's page? Some sort of deep scan or something... though i am not experiencing any spyware symptoms, just this click.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12