Default Hard drive on it's way out

I have a hard drive that is showing signs of dieing. What should I do? How do I make a copy of all that is on my HD so as to transfer it to a new HD? Also who makes the best replacement HD?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first thing to do is stop using the drive. If it's about to die, you may end up with nothing to copy!

Second thing to do is purchase the new hard drive and install it. As long as you stick to well known makers like Seagate, Western Digital, etc, you'll be fine. It needs to be larger than the existing HD to complete the copying without problems.

Finally, you need to download a free HD cloning utility which will do the copying. One I use is Easeus Partition Master which is actually partition management software, but also has the ability to clone one HD to another.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help! I have a second question. How do I tell if my HD is an ( ATA, SATA or PATA )?

Have a look here:
    Buying new internal drive

Quote Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
    Thanks for the help! I have a second question. How do I tell if my HD is an ( ATA, SATA or PATA )?
    i don't know about the PATA (cabling configuration)
    But for ATA you have some large strip data cable, and for SATA data cable is small strip at some extent...!..and also port on you motherboard of SATA is quite different than than ATA's large one....!!