Default while deleting photos, copies keep appearing, some up to 'Copy (94)' now

I am resending this to make the title more succinct. The photos are in
    'My Pictures'. I have a Dell Inspiron 530S and XP. Please let me know if
    you need any more info..........anyone!!!!! Thanks in advance, Christine

Hi tokenkarma,
    Let's see if this eliminates your problem.

Try creating a new folder, move the pictures that you want to delete to that folder, then delete that folder.

If you have anymore questions concerning this issue, please post in this thread since there is more system information concerning your computer.

Let us know if this helps!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Last edited by DonnaB; 01-10-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: copied link had mis-spelled word
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Similar problem with me on occasion. Don't know why, just a glitch between mouse, Windows, etc I suppose. I was trying to select multiple photos to delete with one click. I eventually gave up and simply deleted them one at a time. I did not find out why that was a problem for a few days. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I hope this would work for you (one at a time), if it does it's not the best method, but it might help.
    Edit: I read DonnaB's link and that does make sense and I'll give that a try.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 12gb Ram / Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    HP w2207 Monitor / 24X Dual Layer Optical Drive / 700W PSU /
    Nvidia GeForce HD N460 1GB /...Keurig ready to brew a quick cuppa!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Donna's link is right on the money. Another way around this problem is to copy > paste instead of drag and drop. To get rid of duplicate files you could use the free program Find and delete duplicate files with Auslogics Duplicate File Finder

Default Pretty sure here's the fix...

I too had the same problem. They nailed it in my thread a few days ago. The whole thing had to do with keeping a steady hand on the mouse. If your mouse wavers even a little bit when you go to click on your files, the pc automatically reads that as a command to copy. Sounds pretty silly, huh. But the advice I got eliminated the problem entirely. Good luck.

By the way, I've got an Inspiron 531s w/XP so I can relate.

As explained elsewhere, these frustrating duplicate copies are caused by operator error due to slight mistiming of key presses, releases and slight mouse movements when using XP's Windows Explorer.

Instead of using Windows Explorer I now use an old freeware version of Power Desk(v5) to manage all my files. Obviously I am still making the same errors, due to my clumsy old fingers, but Power Desk rarely creates any duplicates.

Power Desk works exactly the same way as Windows Explorer but has many extra features - two that I find particularly useful are that you can have two panes open at the same time (which makes moving files so much easier), and that it remembers which folders you last used.

Power Desk download: PowerDesk 5.0 - V3.co.uk - formerly vnunet.com