Default Slow download speed...

Comp: Acer Aspire Tower M1600
    CPU Intel Pentium D925
    HDD: 250Gb SATA
    RAM: 1Gb DDRII

Hi All;
    Out here in the backwoods and mountains of Spain in a very rural location, we have what our ISP Telefonica claim to be a 3Mbs service. I fully appreciate that actual download speeds will never come anywhere near to this sort of figure, but the best we have ever been able to achieve during an actual download is around 250Kbs/sec. Line speed checks vary between around 1.5Gb and less than 300kbs download but always around 350kbs upload.

Our village (population about 400) is served by an automated cabin switching centre. Telephone lines are hard wired to the cabin and then I suspect microwave or radio linked to a transmitter mast some 15kms away. Again I suspect that very few people in the village actually have Internet access but those that do probably have to share the radio link by some form of multiplexing.

My question is this; when I start a download from say Rapidshare, even with a Premium subscription, the download speed starts off at around 600Kbs but very quickly reduces to about 70kbs. Could it be something to do with my computer? As it has only 1Gb of ram could it be that the download is being buffered? I have noticed it as well with google or msn videos; I often have to wait until the video has fully downloaded before watching it; Trying to watch it streamed leads to many breaks whilst the system buffers.

Would adding more ram help or is my theory all wrong?

Thanks

Hi whitenoiz,
    This appears to be an issue with your ISP. Download speed has nothing to do with the amount of RAM that you have on your system.

Have you tried to do a speed test on your connection just to see how fast your connection is?

Google speed test, this should give you several sites to test your connection on.

I live in a small community as you do. I had to acquire satellite connection to better my connection. Are you able to do that? May be your only hope, if it is available to you.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Donna Hi

Satcom is indeed available but at a hell of a price both for installation and subscription.
    And the subscription service is capped at a very low and completely unacceptable level given that my OH runs lots of blogs and websites which need daily attention.

Financially Internet by Satellite therefore its a non starter.

We also considered a WiFi service but despite the fact that the Tx/Rx mast is only 10kms away its on the other side of a mountain and so line of sight is not available.

Ah well just have to live with it until Telefonica invest a bit more in the rural services!

I ran a speed check yesterday and got 1.5Mbs down and 384kbs up; this is about as good as it gets, but as I said once the rest of the village go online download speed drops rapidly. Basically the infrastructure isn't keeping up with the number of users.

Thanks anyway!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We had a similar problem when ADSL arrived here some years ago. The connection was made after the village signed a petition backed by the local mayor, but it was a quick job to placate the locals and proved totally inadequate. Probably a spare phone cable hotwired at the exchange! Once the kids logged on at the end of the day, dial-up was quicker! It took a year for the necessary hubs and dedicated connections to arrive with anything usable.

It's not quite true that increased RAM has no effect. There's no direct benefit, but if you are doing other things on the machine as well as browsing, pages with intensive content like lots of non-optimised images, music or video files that require processing will load slower.

There are a few things you can do....

1. Make sure that only your browser is running. That means shutting down any background processes using msconfig. The worst offenders are those with internet access like updaters which don't need to be running.

2. Remember that internet security software also uses resources whilst monitoring your downloaded content. Norton and Mcafee are well known offenders. Try changing to a more lightweight application

3. If possible, connect to the internet though an ethernet port, rather than a USB port. It isn't necessarily faster, unless your machine has USB1.1 connections, but uses less resources.

4. Choose a fast browser. Opera is seen as the fastest - particularly when it comes to the execution of scripts, with Safari close behind. Whichever you choose, keep the number of Add-ons/Extensions to a minimum because they will slow things down.

5. Whatever browser you choose, reset your history levels to a lower figure and be sure to clear out the cache regularly. Loading pages from cache can speed things up, but if the cache is too big, you'll be using up to 10% of available RAM.

It all comes down to optimising your machine to work as best as it is able under limited bandwidth conditions. You could also go and bang on the mayor's desk and demand he get's something done. He's probably got a slow connection too.
    Last edited by arraknid; 02-23-2010 at 09:45 AM.

You could also go and bang on the mayor's desk and demand he get's something done. He's probably got a slow connection too.
    Now theres an idea!

Maybe he can slap Endesa the power company too for all the brown-outs and power cuts every time it rains.

And the water company for seeeing fit to turn off the water without notice whenever they feel like it...even on Christmas Day!

Not quite the 3rd World but we can see it from here...!

In truth we have done all that you suggest to keep a reasonable download speed going, but when it does fall to sub dial-up we just give up; its impossible to update websites and dozens of blogs under these circumstances.

Thanks again!