Default disk d almost full

Imageshack - diskd

as you can see, my disk d here in the picture is almost full, i heard it was the recovery disk, so i don't know what to do. i haven't add anything nor touched it, it just keeps getting smaller.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you using Vista or Win7? If so, it's probably their version of System Restore called Shadow Copy that's causing the problem.

Check out this post, particularly the 2 links included there. That should help.
    Last edited by arraknid; 01-14-2010 at 11:06 AM.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. Shadow Copy is not Vista or Win 7's version of System Restore. They are separate features using different services for different functions, though they may, but don't have to be, related. Shadow Copies are one of two things; (1) change logs for files and folders used to create System Restore points, or (2) files created by the Windows Backup program.

Shadow Copy uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), also known as "Previous Versions." Shadow Copy allows users to restore individual programs and files (rather than the whole "system") back to a previous version. Shadow Copies can even be used to restore previous versions of document files.

System Restore is used to return a computer to a previous "state" or condition.

Windows Backup and [System] Restore Center
    Shadow Copy

In any case - lots of Shadow Copies on your disk can consume a lot of space!
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

I am aware of that, but didn't see the point of going into unnecessary detail, so simplified the description. The linked post touches on that very point, and provides further links describing VSS and how to deal with the problem he/she described.

@aaaaaa12589 When you explore the d drive, what do you see? How fast is this decline in free space? Is "System Protection" enabled on the d drive? Note it typically is only enabled for the boot drive by default. Check under System Properties and the System Protection tab to see where it is enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by arraknid
    didn't see the point of going into unnecessary detail, so simplified the description
    Ah. Well I see and appreciate your point, but in technical issues, over-simplification can lead to incorrect, potentially misleading information, and the use of incorrect terminology. And too much information can overwhelm and confuse.
    their version of System Restore called Shadow Copy
    That could mislead someone into thinking System Restore and Shadow Copy are one in the same. They are not. So I don't believe the detail was unnecessary at all, but important.

I was confused by the thread you linked to. The title and thread topic are about MBAM not updating and do not appear at first, or even second glance to apply to this "disk d almost full" thread. There are 3 whole pages of posts to sift through and many more than just 2 links. Since your link goes to the thread's beginning, I didn't know if you meant the 2 links in your post on page 2, or some other links. Now me being confused by that thread, and how it might apply here does not mean everyone would be confused, but I suspect some might. Perhaps if you had linked directly to your post, if that's the two links you are referring to, I might not have been confused.

So, sorry to interject - simplification is great, as long as there's enough detail to keep things accurate, and not misleading.
    Last edited by Digerati; 01-14-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Rearranged comments.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Once again, you feel the need to express your opinions in the middle of a poster's thread. As previously suggested, the place for that is in the Community forum, so if you'd like to continue, please start a new thread there.

As far as the link is concerned, it works for me. If you look at the actual link address, you'll see #post435433 after the thread address, which is the actual post within the thread.

I am not trying to start an argument here arraknid - I just want the OP to have the correct information. My opinion has nothing to do with it.

As for the link it does not take me to your post. It takes me to the start of the thread, and DonnaB's opening post.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Definitely better as discussion elsewhere *nods*

Hi aaaaaa12589 Apologies if this thread has been a little confusing.

In order to help we need to know what is on your d: drive, also look for the system protection setting that digerati has asked for, and last but not least check your system restore settings to see where it is saving the restore points and to get rid of older ones you no longer need. If you need help with that, feel free to ask
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone