Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not sure, But I have seen the problem once before on a Gateway Laptop where it did not reconize a 1 Gig Memory Stick and 2 512 sticks had to be installed. Lets see if others have an idea of what else could be taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    What you are seeing is typical of a 512Mb RAM when installed in a machine that's using 64Mb for the graphics card. So, 512 - 64 = 448.

You say that you have a 1Gb card, so either it's labelled incorrectly, it's faulty or you have Windows 98 installed which only recognises up to 512Mb. That machine was, I think, supplied with XP, so that doesn't apply.

A lot of RAM cards have memory chips mounted on both sides, so 1Gb would have 512Mb on each side. If it is actually a 1Gb stick, it sounds as though only one half is working. That could be a problem with the RAM or the slot connectors.

You could try resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for 10 minutes, or updating the BIOS, just to be sure, but faulty RAM isn't unusual - even Kingston.

FYI, reformatting isn't applicable here and will achieve nothing.
    Alright, started with the easy stuff first, pulled the battery and let it sit... no-go... Now, I'm downloading a new chipset driver, and BIOS from Gateway.com... (I know, I don't really need the chipset driver, but seems like a good idea anyway) but, the only bios they have up there is a vista-32 BIOS... I know, it sounds like a stupid question, but the wording on their site is less than clear, can I use this BIOS on a win XP machine?

his file contains BIOS version 73.08 for Windows Vista and the Gateway computer models and components listed below.
    It says AND Gateway computer models... which, is why I wonder...

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you'll find they mean Windows Vista when installed on the Gateway models shown below. Badly phrased but that's how I read it.

I've been looking into your problems a bit more and it seems that you aren't alone. I found lots of people trying to upgrade from 512 to 1024Mb, none with any success! Gateway's site is useless, and when I went to one of their designated parts sellers, no memory was listed for your model. So that speaks volumes.

I found just one site that mentioned a brand of memory that could possibly work, but nobody confirmed it, so not worth pursuing. I fear you'll need to stick with the 512Mb for now, and keep searching for an answer - if there is one!

Personally, having read how 'picky' this machine is, I wouldn't risk the Vista BIOS download. It looks as though there were no upgrades available for XP other than the version installed.

What can I say? Maybe, next time don't buy a Gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    I think you'll find they mean Windows Vista when installed on the Gateway models shown below. Badly phrased but that's how I read it.

I've been looking into your problems a bit more and it seems that you aren't alone. I found lots of people trying to upgrade from 512 to 1024Mb, none with any success! Gateway's site is useless, and when I went to one of their designated parts sellers, no memory was listed for your model. So that speaks volumes.

I found just one site that mentioned a brand of memory that could possibly work, but nobody confirmed it, so not worth pursuing. I fear you'll need to stick with the 512Mb for now, and keep searching for an answer - if there is one!

Personally, having read how 'picky' this machine is, I wouldn't risk the Vista BIOS download. It looks as though there were no upgrades available for XP other than the version installed.

What can I say? Maybe, next time don't buy a Gateway.
    Heh, thankfully, it was a free computer. So, I'm not terribly upset... And, it's not even mine, which makes it doubly so. I'm gonna keep poking around a bit longer before giving up... but, that isn't much hope for the cause... Thanks for your time and effort, It's greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12