Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading RAM in Gateway MX3228 Laptop...

Alright, I bought a 1Gig stick of ram off eBay, to upgrade my sisters 512k-wielding Gateway MX3228.

When I installed the new ram, and pressed the power button, the button lights up, the HD spins for about half a second, then stops. And the computer does nothing but sit there with a glowing power light.

I replaced the RAM with the original stick, and the PC started normally. So, I sent the stick back and got a replacement one, believing it to be faulty... However, this one has exactly the same issue.

I've built a few computers before, I'm sure I've got the stick in correctly, the contacts are all nice and clean. But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Is there something majikally different about Gateway laptops than every other computer in existence? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Did you scan your Laptop with Crucial.com to make sure you have the correct RAM?

For your own information only, you could download this software, (Standalone version) click on Hardware in the left pane, then Memory, there you will find all the information you need to install the correct amount of RAM for your Laptop.

best regards,

Also see this,

Memory Upgrade for Gateway MX3228 Laptop, the Gateway MX3228 Laptop takes the PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMMs. Memory Type, and comes installed with 512 MB (removable) of Memory. You can upgrade your Gateway MX3228 Laptop to up to a maximum of 1.0 GB Memory, the system has 1 socket to install Memory, already with 512 MB (removable) standard Memory installed. For best Laptop performance use the maximum amount of allowed Memory per slot for your Laptop.
    Choose the following Memory Upgrade for Gateway MX3228 Laptop.

MX3228 Memory - Upgrade Gateway MX3228 Laptop Memory

Well, the RAM I bought was listed specifically as being compatible with MX3228's... I don't have the actual specs of the stick I recieved... So, we're assuming that the stick's I've been getting are simply not compatible?

It makes sense to me, but I just wanted to make sure I knew for sure before going back to the seller again.

Hi,

There are #"s on the back of the memory stick. If you want Google them and see what comes up. Just curious myself.

Also you need to use caution when handling Ram as they are Static sensitive. Discharge yourself before handling them by touching a door knob or something metal.

Well unless I am missing something, that looks like it should work PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMMs . Are you sure you're handling these memory sticks carefully they are static sensitive. Or something is wrong at the sellers end. All I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Well unless I am missing something, that looks like it should work PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMMs . Are you sure you're handling these memory sticks carefully they are static sensitive. Or something is wrong at the sellers end. All I can think of.
    Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with working with computers, and I know how to protect from static... It's really mystifying me as to what could be wrong, which is why I thought I'd try here...

And, the packages are sealed packages, so it's pretty certain that everything should be right...

Alrighty, well, after a bit of finagaling, they sent me some Kingston brand RAM, and the computer boots up now, just as it should. However, when I right-click on the My Computer on the desktop, and hit properties, it still says there is only 448mb's of memory.

It's definitely a 1gig stick... any idea how to refresh this, or to make sure the computer knows its there? I imagine re-formating would do it, but that's more of a last resort...

Thanks.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What you are seeing is typical of a 512Mb RAM when installed in a machine that's using 64Mb for the graphics card. So, 512 - 64 = 448.

You say that you have a 1Gb card, so either it's labelled incorrectly, it's faulty or you have Windows 98 installed which only recognises up to 512Mb. That machine was, I think, supplied with XP, so that doesn't apply.

A lot of RAM cards have memory chips mounted on both sides, so 1Gb would have 512Mb on each side. If it is actually a 1Gb stick, it sounds as though only one half is working. That could be a problem with the RAM or the slot connectors.

You could try resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for 10 minutes, or updating the BIOS, just to be sure, but faulty RAM isn't unusual - even Kingston.

FYI, reformatting isn't applicable here and will achieve nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast