Default repartition primary drive

I am running out of space on my "C" Drive which contains my system infor. I have space on my "D" Drive which is an extended drive. I want to shrink my D drive and increase my primary c drive. I am running XP Pro on a Sony Vaio laptop. Obviously, I do not want to loose any data.

hi phillip, you would need to get partitioning software to do that. You could try googling for a free one, sorry I have no suggestions for one. Acronis makes a good one but you have to buy it here

we do have a tutorial for doing it here but its outdated and I'm not sure if it will still work.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Default repartition

Mitch,
    Thank you for your reply. I believe you are right in that I would need a third party software. From what I can discern, Microsoft does not provide a methodology for doing this. I have searched the internet and did come accross a couple of free downloads; however, I want to look a little further to see if these downloads can do the job without corrupting my system---Phil

phillip7578, try this, EASEUS Partition Master, it's free, installs under Windows, simple user interface, should do the job,

EASEUS Partition Master Freeware download and review - manage disk partitions from SnapFiles

Snapfiles, good site by the way

I too would recommend EASEUS Partition Master. I have used it several times with no problems. That said, rearranging partitions is risky so I urge you to back up all your data first. Also note the free version of Partition Master works with 32-bit Windows only.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Default EASEUS Partition Master

Thank you Perce, Digeroti,
    EASEUS Partition Master worked great! I have not found any loss of data. The external hard drive I was using to back up my data malfunctioned. I borrowed a HDD from my friend to back up my data. I was not sure how well the Partition Master would work so I made sure my data was backed up; but, as it turned out, there was no need to reload any data. It was very important to me that I had some feedback before using this freeware. I appreciate the help I received from Help2Go-----Phil

I was not sure how well the Partition Master would work so I made sure my data was backed up
    I was confident how well it would work because I have used it several times without incident. The potential problems are not with the program, but outside influences. For example, a power outage during partition resizing would be a bad thing. Or a drive failure, or something of the sort.

It was very important to me that I had some feedback before using this freeware.
    Always a wise precaution.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    I was confident how well it would work because I have used it several times without incident. The potential problems are not with the program, but outside influences. For example, a power outage during partition resizing would be a bad thing. Or a drive failure, or something of the sort.

Always a wise precaution.
    I have used EASEUS Partition Master several times without problem, but you must pay special attention to outside influences when resizing the partitions.
    Another thing, EASEUS Partition Master can extend NTFS partition without rebooting the computer, avoid downtime.