Thread: hard drive

Exclamation hard drive

I had a western digital wd caviar se 350 gig hard drive in a hp pavillion 553w. It was moving very slow, I ran registry mechanic, malware bytes antimalware program and error expert. when nothing helped I placed the hard drive in another computer,hp pavillion xe813 with m.e. . Using the restore disks that came with the computer I tried to format and install m.e. The computer only formatted 5 gig. now hard drive can't be found when I try to slave it into another computer.is this hard drive lost or can it be repaired

it depends.

do you not have the correct restore disks for the first PC?

The drive will not be showing because it is in a raw state. no file structure will be present if the format did not complete.

What operating system is present on the PC your slaving the hard drive into? Disk Managment in the administrative tools section of the control panel may be able to see the drive and complete the format, but you will still have no operating system on it.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Default hard drive

no i don't, as the mother board had to be replaced.the computer I tried to slave to is an hp pavillion xe813 with xp sp3.(Upgraded from M.E.)

XP sp3 has that feature in Administrative tools. you may need to click on Computer Managment first, then select Disk Managment from the list in the left side list.

Can you see the disk there? if so, you can format it there.

How are you planning on validating Windows ME once you have it installed? are you using the origional computers product key? or using the key from the working machine?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

I suspect the XP HD was formatted with NTFS. Windows ME and previous versions do not support NTFS, and instead, use the FAT32 file system. This is why you could not see the data when you installed it in the ME machine. As MrDarn said, you will need to reformat, then reinstall Windows, but you will also need the product key, or you will need to buy a new license for Windows. Or use a free Linux alternative. No easy fix anyway you look at it.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Smile hard drive

THANK YOU!!!!!! You guys have SAVED the hard drive. I'll most likely just use it as a storage drive on my wife's new computer. I think this is the second time I made this mistake when formatting a hard drive. Unfortunately I didn't have You and this forum to save the first one. So Once again I Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jesanoldude View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!! You guys have SAVED the hard drive. I'll most likely just use it as a storage drive on my wife's new computer. I think this is the second time I made this mistake when formatting a hard drive. Unfortunately I didn't have You and this forum to save the first one. So Once again I Thank you.
    What was the actual solution?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────