Default How to remove all Sky items

I have had to close my account with SKY as my present flat will not allow any dishes to be installed. Sky have been understanding. I had Sky- Sky Talk and Sky broadband- how can I now uninstall and remove all Sky from my computer? any help much appeciated Cheers Jim

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > wait for it to load up and then go down the list, highlight any Sky entries and to the right click Remove. It should get rid of most of it. You could then run Ccleaner (using the default settings, do not run their Registry program .. they can be more trouble than they're worth). This should clean up most of the settings for you. If you come across any that aren't removed, let us know.

Moving is no fun, no matter what age you are!!!

Thanks Canuck. Do you use any registry cleaner? I have been using Ccleaner for a long time using the registry scanner mainly after uninstalling anything; touch wood I have had no observable problems to date, does a computer reach a stage where it gets clogged up with dead or unused registry entries? cheers

Woodcock, the use of registry cleaners is not recommended, as every computer setup is different these days with the differing manufacturers adding differing features to windows. Registry cleaners often get legitamate entries mixed up with real ones.

Study's have shown the registry has to be REALLY full for it to have the slightest effect on performance, and even this is fairly unnoticable, whereas a 'tampered registry' via a cleaner used by someone who does not understand the results shown, can SEVERLY cripple a system.

The risk is up to you, but it's our experience that they cause more problems than they solve.

A Registry backup program would be VERY advisable before using any such product, just as a layer of protection, should you still wish to take the risk.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Thanks MrDarn. I will take Canuck and your advice. Each time I have used the Ccleaner registry scanner I have selected to save the scan so I have a large number of these saved scans in My Documents. I will not use this Registry scanner again, can the saved scas be deleted or shall I just leave them alone. thanks for your time and help.

Hi woodcock23

If there are no issues with the computer, then yes you may delete the scans. I save them myself for a week or so then delete them.

zep

Default Ccleaner

zep516- Hi I take it then you do use the Ccleaner registry scanner.cheers Jim

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Jim,

I think there maybe a bit of a misunderstanding here. Ccleaner has a number of utilities, the main one, that opens by default when you click 'Run Cleaner' is what we are suggesting you use. This cleans out temporary internet files, cookies, recycle bin as well as other junk files that are created during a normal day of PC use.

Also included with Ccleaner is their Registry Cleaner ( Registry on the left hand side under Cleaner). This is what we recommend you do not use for the reasons MrDarn outlines in his post. As he states, the amount of memory taken up by unused registry items is so small that it really isn't worth the trouble.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Hi Jim

No need to download anything. This is the instruction we would give for using ccleaner you can make a note of it if you care to.

Download ccleaner from CCleaner - Downloading Slim... and save it to your Desktop.
    When the file has been saved, go to your Desktop and double-click on ccsetupxxx_slim.exe
    Follow the prompts to install the program.
    Complete the installation then:
    Double-click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
    Click on the Options block on the left, then choose Cookies.
    o Under Cookies to Delete highlight any cookies you would like to retain permanently
    o Click the right arrow > to move them to the Cookies to Keep window.

Go into Options > Advanced un[ /b]check Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours
    Click Cleaner on the left then Run Cleaner on the right to run the program.
    [color =red]Important:[/color] Make sure that ALL browser windows are closed before selecting Run Cleaner
    Caution: It is not recommended that you use the 'Registry' feature unless you are very familiar with the registry.
    Exit [ b] CCleaner
    after it has completed its process.

Compliments of Evilfantasy.

Cheers.

Many thanks Canuck and Zep516 I have got that clear now regards Jim