Default Problems with InstallShield Update Manager (found in control panel)

I am running WINVista Ultimate OS on XPS M1730 laptop; 4Gb mem.; 360gb striped array.

The InstallShield Update Manager checks for updated programs of the

programs installed on my computer.

Selecting the Program Updates icon in the Control Panel results in a

window that opens and displays a small gif that displays InstallShield

in the upper right corner while all other graphics only displays

"question marks" and "blank tabs".

Thus I am unable to run this wizard as no information is provided

other than what is noted above.

Any help will be appreciated.

Crazylegs.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Crazylegs,

InstallShield Update Manager is a program that installs along with other programs that sign up (Roxio for example) and check their site for the latest updates. The problem with InstallShield Update Manager is that it is known to take up your RAM (memory) because it constantly is looking for updates to the programs that rely on it. In my research on this, it appears that the number of software manufacturers signing onto this service is diminishing, relying on their own update utilities.

It's my personal belief that this program is more a pain that a help, I got rid of it years ago. I also don't allow my programs to auto update either, but rather check them out maybe once or twice a year .. if you're not having problems why put up with the memory loss.

There are other free update programs out there that can be used in auto or manual modes (manual doesn't use up RAM). FileHippo.com Update Checker - FileHippo.com is one, but there are others too. InstallShield Update Manager is considered 'foistware' by some of the anti virus programs.

Thanx very much for the quick response .......... even when the system was new, the InstallShield Updater would not work properly .......... hhhmmmmmmmm! Should have dumped it a while back when it would produce results not appropriate for versioning of software.

chow