Default Firefox stopped working - PLEASE help

I would appreciate some help in getting Firefox running. I have a Dell 370 WS running XP SP2. I installed Firefox version 3.6 a couple days ago. Today, while using MS Explorer to access an eSATA drive I kept getting an error saying MS Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. Trying to access the eSATA drive kept giving me the same error & finally I got a screen with a white background & a message relating to my active desktop (I'm sorry I don't remember the exact wording of the error message). Re-booting did not fix the active desktop error. I restored a registry backup from yesterday. That did not fix the error. I restored a Restore point from 2 days ago. That fixed the error but Firefox stopped running. I tried installing the previous version, 3.5.7. Firefox still won't run. I tried uninstalling Firefox & reinstalling Version 3.5.7. Firefox still won't run. I shutdown my Comodo firewall but Firefox still won't run. IE runs fine but I shudder at the possibility of having to use it. I would really appreciate some help!!

Hi Putts,

Have you tried to start Firefox in Safe Mode, not to be confused with windows Safe Mode. Firefox has it's own Safe Mode. See if it runs from there.

Safe Mode

Uninstalling Firefox Itís also possible you may need to do a full uninstall that means losing bookmarks etc see link.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Hi Putts,

May I suggest you download and install Cometbird. Then you can import your bookmarks over from Internet Explorer.
    Where does CometBird come from?CometBird is developed from the source codes of Mozilla FireFox and also follow the source code license of Mozilla.

FireFox is a fast, powerful and full-featured web browser which is an open source program. By using the FireFox codes (exactly the same except some logo pictures) and carefully selected addons, we make CometBird stable and easy to use.
    Now I would suggest you use Revo Uninstaller free to completely uninstall Fire Fox from your system.
    Revo Uninstaller is a freeware innovative uninstall utility much faster than Windows Add/Remove applet. With its advanced and fast algorithm, Revo Uninstaller scans before and after you uninstall an application. After the program's regular uninstaller runs, you can remove additional unnecessary files, folders and registry keys that are usually left over on your computer. Even if you have a broken installation, Revo Uninstaller scans for an application's data on your hard disk drives and in the Windows registry and shows all found files, folders and registry items so you can delete them.
    Browse for a time with Cometbird to see how you like it, it is FF's twin sister, faster, and I use it all the time now with no issues. I did have minor issues with FF, that is why I changed.

kind regards,

Hi zep:
    Hi tallin:

I wanted to thank both of you for your replies. They were very helpful.

zep: I started Firefox in the safe mode without doing anything else. After getting into the safe mode, I exited it and re-started Firefox in normal mode & it ran fine. I installed version 3.6 and it still is running fine.

tallin: Thank you for the info on CometBird and on Revo Uninstaller. CometBird looks like it has some very interesting features. But I haven’t installed it yet. I wanted to get Firefox going before introducing another variable.

I also have a question for either or both of you. I run Firefox on 2 computers and use Xmarks to synchronize my Bookmarks. If I had to completely uninstall Firefox from one computer, could I use Xmarks to recover my bookmarks and reinstall them after reinstalling Firefox? My Bookmarks on IE are horribly out of date because I only use IE when MS forces me to.

I’m also continuing to have problems with MS Explorer crashing & causing other problems. I guess I need to start another post on that problem.

Once again, thank you both very much for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Putts

I also have a question for either or both of you. I run Firefox on 2 computers and use Xmarks to synchronize my Bookmarks. If I had to completely uninstall Firefox from one computer, could I use Xmarks to recover my bookmarks and reinstall them after reinstalling Firefox? My Bookmarks on IE are horribly out of date because I only use IE when MS forces me to.
    I do not use XMarks, had no success earlier on with it so uninstalled it. Therefore I cannot comment on or reply to your first question....sorry.
    Iím also continuing to have problems with MS Explorer crashing & causing other problems. I guess I need to start another post on that problem.
    You don't say what version of IE you are using, please let us know.

Perhaps this link may assist you with whatever version of IE you are using

It would not hurt to run SFCScannow to make sure you have no corrupt of missing .dll files in Windows XP/SP2, you will need your OS CD to run the scan successfully. It is all explained in the above link.

Best regards,

Hi Putts,

I just had to restore my bookmarks in Firefox after a reinstall, forget the exact steps but it can be done see link.

Xmarks Features: Backup & Restore

To install Xmarks on another computer and start synchronizing:
    1. On your other computer, go to xmarks.com and click on "Install Now".
    2. In the setup wizard, select "Yes, I am a registered Xmarks user" and enter your Xmarks username and password.
    3. Repeat these steps on all of your computers.

MS Explorer crashing & causing other problems.
    In a new thread Provide as much information as you can about that and any or all error codes associated, operating system, make model etc.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Hi zep:

Thanks for your instructions re: Xmarks. I'll make sure I keep a copy. Once again thanks for all your help.

Putts