Default Installing Windows 7

How easy is it to install Windows 7 home premium when I am using XP2? Someone told me its better to get it done proffessionally rather than doing yourself as you may lose some of yourwork and programmes, and as i am not that computer literate maybe the best option.

First of all I would suggest you run Windows Update Advisor to make sure your system is capable of running Windows 7.

May I then suggest you post back with more information following the link in my signature and others running Windows 7 can advise you further. Neither of my systems are capable, but I am happy for the time being to stay with Windows XP/SP3 mainly as I have no issues with them.

kind regards,

This is from windows advisor

Computer Name:
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Memory: 512 MB

System Details
    Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
    Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP
    Windows Aero support Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
    Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
    512 MB of RAM Your PC needs at least 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit Windows 7 for optimal performance. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
    Outlook Express This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
    Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
    CPU speed: 2.7 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
    22.3 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.

Devices Status Details
    SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    SiS Action recommended Before installing Windows 7, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows 7, install the saved driver.
    Tul Corporation, RADEON 9200SE
    ATI Technologies Inc. Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.
    Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
    Agere Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    EPSON Stylus CX3100
    EPSON Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Realtek Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    Silicon Integrated Systems Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    SiS PCI IDE Controller
    Silicon Integrated System Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    Silicon Integrated Systems Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    USB Mass Storage Device
    Compatible USB storage device Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details
    Windows Live OneCare safety scanner Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
    Visit the publisher's website for a possible solution
    Adobe Acrobat 5.0
    version 5.0
    Adobe Systems, Inc. Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.
    iTunes
    version 8.1.1.10
    Apple Inc. Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    Get a free update to a compatible version
    Logitech QuickCam Software
    version 8.47.0000
    Logitech, Inc. Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.
    Logitech® Camera Driver Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.
    AVG 8.5 This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
    Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    version 1.0.1611.0
    Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    version 8.0.56336
    Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
    Windows Live Essentials
    version 14.0.8089.0726
    Adobe Shockwave Player 11
    version 11.0
    Adobe Systems, Inc. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
    Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information
    Requirement Details
    Virtualization technology not supported Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.
    512 MB of RAM Your PC memory doesn't meet the 2 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 32-bit Windows 7. When running XP Mode, you might experience poor performance.
    Extra 15 GB of free space Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

I had to purchase two new Logitech web cams. My two older Quick Cams did work with Vista but not with Windows 7. I tried the usual "fixes" (compatability etc) but they still did not work.
    I did the Custom Install on all five of my machines. Two netbooks that had XP, one laptop that had Vista 64bit, two desktops that had Vista 32bit. The only problem I encountered was that one of the netbooks (ASUS 1000HEB) required a chipset driver download and install. That was easily dealt with. I installed Win 7 64bit on all but the two netbooks.
    If your machine only has 512mb of memory, I would SERIOUSLY consider an upgrade to 2gb (or more). Though Win 7 is running very well on both of my netbooks, one with 1gb and the other with 2gb.
    Good luck.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 12gb Ram / Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    HP w2207 Monitor / 24X Dual Layer Optical Drive / 700W PSU /
    Nvidia GeForce HD N460 1GB /...Keurig ready to brew a quick cuppa!

Getting pro help can be quite expensive.
    I used Zinstall XP7 to upgrade from XP to Windows 7[/URL], and it worked - at least never found any snags for the week I got it. They have good support, too - you can actually talk to a human.
    Last edited by arraknid; 01-31-2010 at 07:56 PM.

First of all, I would have to recommend that you purchase more ram to get your total to at least 2 gb. You can function with 1 gb but Windows 7 is a resource hog, although not as bad as Vista.

Second, if you are not knowledgeable in the inner-workings of computers, I might recommend using the Windows file and settings transfer wizard. It is compatible across operating systems and comes standard with all Windows OS's. You start in XP, choose all of the files, settings, etc. that you want to keep and save them to an external device, assuming you have access to one. Then you install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and start the wizard when that is finished. When the import is done, all of your files and settings will be back, including pictures, documents, even your desktop wallpaper.

A clean install always works better than an upgrade install....