Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Screen!

Wink Black Screen!

Hi, I have a computer problem I can't solve. There i've said it. My son has an Advent T9308 computer. Because of his medical problems this was bought for him approx 2 years ago. It has never caused any major problrms until approx 2 weeks ago, when: he switched it off one night sfter using it, and it would not switch on the next morning. It switches on and the transformer appears to work. However, the screen remains black. It will not even boot into the bios. I have checked the graphics card on another system and it works fine. I have checked the monitor on another system and it works fine. I have bought and installed a new motherboard and it is exactly the same, Nothing. The last conclusion I can come to is that it is the main CPU that is at fault. However, having spoken to several people about this they say it is very unlikely this is at fault.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem. I would appreciate a couple of early suggestions as he is driving me mad to get it fixed.

Regards, John Bates

mawgwr,

Before you do the cpu have a look,

If you Google Black Screen then you will find a whopping 80Million plus results, mostly dominated by people searching for a fix to this problem.
    black screen windows - Google Search

See Link below not saying this is your problem but could be, as you have tried a lot of things we would have recommend. So have a read.

Black Screen woes could affect millions on Windows 7, Vista and XP

Others may respond.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds more like a power supply problem - the transformer as you call it. The cooling fan may be running, but it isn't supplying power. It's a relatively simple and inexpensive job to replace it, and if you've already changed the motherboard, you know where everything plugs in.

I'd be interested to hear why this conclusion was met with such cynacism from several people:
    Quote Originally Posted by mawgwr View Post
    The last conclusion I can come to is that it is the main CPU that is at fault. However, having spoken to several people about this they say it is very unlikely this is at fault.
    As if Arraknids suggestion comes up with nothing, and you have no warning beeps or BIOS startup at all, the processor is looking like the culprit!

With almost every other fault, you would at least get a POST beep warning code.

I'll be following this thread, so please do keep us informed.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Hello, and thank you all for your replies and help. To reply to Mr. Darn. While I was at university I gained a BSc (Hons) in Building, my disseration was on computers and their use in the construction industry. As such I have a reasonable understanding of computers and their uses, mainly because I have kept up with the advances in computer technology. As such I have several friends / aquaintances who work at diagnosing problems with computers more than I do. Most of those said in their opinions it was much more likely that other components would fail before the cpu. Most of them said that they saw few problems with actual cpu's, rather than other components. I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

John Bates

Hi John, and thanks for answering my query.

it does in a way, and of course they are right in their theory. It is rare for a processor to go before other components in a normal 'wear and tear' situation.

Being aware that, with this new information on their background, it looks like they have more practical and outside taught experience than i do, but i still fail to see how, when they have the information you have supplied to this forum, they would deduce the processor still to be so unlikely.

I agree the power supply would be a first choice for me, with a few other things, but no POST beeps indicating a problem with hardware really does whittle down the choices to 3 things. The power supply, the processor or the motherboard.

was the statment made without symptoms being present? as a general catch all? or was it specifically made to answer your problems?

Anyway, its matterless. the next advice is to change out the power supply, did this help at all?

keep us informed!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Hi, again, I have changed the processor for a new one, still no joy. I have changed the power supply, still no joy. I have changed the motherboard for another new one, it still will not work. I have changed the mouse and the keyboard, no luck. I have also tried two different monitors, both of which I know are working. At this rate the next thing to try is chucking it through the nearest window or dropping it from the 10th floor of a block of flats. Might be a bit more drastic, but I would probably feel a lot better afterwards.

Regards

John Bates

You say you have a black screen, at the very top left, is there a small white flashing cursor?

Hi, Thank you for replying,

NO there is nothing on the screen at all!

Regards.

John Bates

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the mobo, processor and power supply are new you should at least get a POST screen. If you are seeing and hearing nothing at all, I would check all of your connections - particularly the cables coming from the power supply. There are 2 to the motherboard and the smaller one often gets overlooked.

Also make sure none of the mobo fixing points are shorting out and that the case switch is OK.

Try running just the bare minimum of mobo, processor (with heatsink and fan) and PSU. You should see some screen activity and hear lots of beeps! If not, something isn't connected. If you do see a POST screen, insert the graphics card (if not incorporated into the mobo) and try starting again. If you still see something, start adding RAM one stick at a time, then the hard drive, and carry on until you've connected everything, or the problem reappears. Just be sure to restart after each addition.

If you get the basic setup working, you should find out which bit of hardware is causing the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast